Power Pole Modeling

PeterT

I'm trying to model telephone poles on my HO layout. The poles and lights have been completed and I'm now trying to install the power lines at the top of the poles. I tried using some heavy (coat thread) black thread but I could not get the lines (there will be a total of 6 lines from pole to pole) to hang in consistant manner. I'm trying to simulate the caternary found in the full size version. Has any one got any suggestions on a different material. Would appreciate any help I can get.
PeterT

You need something real thin.
I'm using copper wire from a electrical solenoid winding, it has a dark green color. You could buy some at a hobby/Craft store (Hobby Lobby if one is near).
Just remember once it's strung, becareful where to reach, or you'll put an entire city out of power! Lol

Say Peter,
There was another thread on here about that subject I think so you might possibly do a search. Also, I would think that if the lines were sprayed with a thin mixture of white glue that would give them enough weight to hang down and dry in a drouped position? I've never tried it but it seems it might work?

Someone on here probably has the answer.

I heard some people use fishing line. Not sure what size though.

Also Rapido has some poles that are already assembled with lines and everything, they claim it's a no muss no fuss install. I saw them at my LHS. The lines appeared to by similar to fishing line.
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Rapido-HO-300001-Totally-Wired-Telephone-Pole-p/rpi-300001.htm

That's like cheating or something!

The EZ Line stuff looks good too, but I thought I heard about a product that was like rubber thread that would sag like real power lines ... ? EZ Line doesn't appear to do that. It's been several years since I've even heard people talk about the 'saggy' product, but basically it was just stretchy and dense so it sagged under its own weight, unlike a metal or nylon strand.

Related issue: I'm looking for authentic street lights, post '40's. All of the usual resources have lamps which are out of scale (too large). I don't necessarily require that they be illuminated.

...It's been several years since I've even heard people talk about the 'saggy' product, but basically it was just stretchy and dense so it sagged under its own weight, unlike a metal or nylon strand.

Can't remember the name of the product, but it was from Berkshire Junction.

Back