Pollyscale acrylics shelf life?

GN.2-6-8-0

Wondering about the shelf life of these paints once they've been opened.
Well remember the problems with Floquil paints back in the day.
Found on checking my pollyscale acrylic I just purchased a month or so ago they were showing signs of seperating ,and a vigorous shaking was in order.
Appreciate any thoughts anyone using these paints can provide. :D

As long as they are correctly sealed, I've had bottles last 5+ years. Here's a few hints. Wipe the lid clean before reinstallign the cap, and store your bottles upside down for long term. The liquid at the cap will help seal out oxygen and prevent premature failure. As far as separation is concerned, usually I drop a small (7-10mm) stainless nut in each bottle after opening. This gives you a built in agitator to help mix the paint with less shaking.

Dropping a nut in the bottom that is a great ideal I will use that one. The nut would have the same effect as the ball in the bottom of a spray can.

I have also found turning the cans upside down for storing long term is great. When i turn mine upside down I also put a sticker on the bottom (now the top) of the jar with the paint color on it. Less time spent looking for the right color.

I use BB's also because I'm cheap. :) I've found that rubbing a finger full of Vaseline aroung the jar lip before resealing works even better than having them upside down. You can read the labels, the paint doesn't dry out, and you don't need your Visegrips to get the danged things open. :eek:

I'm a cheepskate too!:D I have a box of stainless nuts rescued from a whole bunch of hardware bequeathed to me by Dad. Plus I never have to worry about stailess steel corroding in my paint!:p

Well, if I had a bunch of stainless steel nuts I for for free, I'd probably use them too. Unfortunately, my dad was an engineer so I got his slide rule. :) So far, I haven't seen any problem with BB's since they are mostly copper and don't seem to corrode or discolor paint.

Back