Please help the Newb.

only_in_a_yj

I don't even know where I should start. I've got alot of HO scale stuff and some O scale Lionel stuff. I like the O guage better, but the size and price are too limiting. As for the HO stuff, I'm not sure if I could even use it on a truly realistic layout. I'll have to dig out the HO stuff, but I think its all Life Like brand.

I'd like to recreate part of the town where I live but don't know where to begin.

I'm a complete newb, so bear with me.

Well, lets start by seeing what exactly you'd like to model.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

To help with the above, read my beginner's guide which you can click to from my signature. It will take you 5 minutes and put you on the right track--so to speak.

Welcome aboard. It's pretty normal not to know exactly what you want when you're just starting out. Read Chip's beginner's giude and then let us know how much space you have to work with, about what era you want to model (modern, steam to diesel transition, or all steam), and what part of the country and what railroads you want to model. That will give us a start for suggestions.

Great pages Chip. The lines me and my dad are into are the Virginian and the Norfolk & Western. I would like to recreate Mullens, WV (where we live). It was established mostly by the railroad and was home to a large diesel and electric shop. And right up the road was the Steam engine repair shop. Go to this link and scroll about halfway down the page and find the pictures of the shop in Mullens. http://vgnry43.googlepages.com/modelrailroadofaubreywileyThis would definately be included in the layout. The era would be 1950s-1970s. I'll try to find some more pictures to give you more ideas.

To start, what brand/type of track do most use? And what are good brands of trains in HO scale?

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally use atlas Code 83. It's a good medium grade track that is excellent to work with.
The brands of trains can be mixed, but you should read reviews and opinions before buying anything that has a high dollar tag. I have a few Broadway Limited Blueline engines and love them. Great sound built in and DCC Ready.
You should also read-up on DCC and decide if you will go that direction or the standard DC one.

To help with the above, read my beginner's guide which you can click to from my signature. It will take you 5 minutes and put you on the right track--so to speak.

i was a newbie to the hobby about a year ago and space mouse's site helped me put things in perspective..it is what the younger generation may refer to as "real talk".

three things to consider from one newbie to another:

-space
-time/paitence
-budget

my first step before chosing a track plan, deciding on an era, etc. was how much of these three items i had to seriously devote to this craft. If you determine you have these three in your favor, the rest is all fun (relatively speaking)..

if you decide to move forward in persueing this hobby, this site is an excellent resource...bookmark it. just about every question that will come up for you has been asked here with pretty thorough and knowledgable answers.

The NCE Power Cab is all you need to run a DCC equipped engine. Transformers are a thing of the past with DCC. I'd certainly be planning on DCC from the beginning for a new layout. Read more about the various DCC control systems before making a decision. Each have their virtues and faults so don't let one ad sway you.

I think you forgot the link to the Mullens Shops in your previous post. I'd like to take a look at them if you can paste in the link again.

I just got back into this hobby recently after a long break and this forum helped me a lot too. Welcome to the forum!

I jumped right into DCC and am very happy I did. It is a small extra expense per loco, but you can pick up deals on decoders. I buy 4 packs of NCE D13SR decoders on eBay for about 60 bucks. But it is always good to have a DC pack available as well - that way if you buy or borrow a DC engine you can check it out without having to install a decoder.

And I second the Atlas code 83 - great track and best bang for the buck.

As for product brands, I really like the Proto 1000 or 2000 series of engines. They are dead smooth and pull like a bugger! The Proto stuff is made by Life Like, but their high end line. LL's regular stuff isn't so great.

For rolling stock, Athearn makes nice stuff.

Mark

Welcome to the forum . All I can add to what's been said is take your time before you jump !!

Welcome to the forums. I use atlas code 83 and havent had any problems. My only suggestion as far as dcc is to use what local hobby shops and clubs do. That way if you have any questions they can help in person and if you ever do join the club your throttles will work there. For engines I love my Atlas silver series locos and my proto 1000/2000's. My anthearns are pretty good to.

Thanks for all the help. As for what the local hobby shops and clubs use, there aren't any. Not within a few hour drive, so you guys will be my club.

I'll checkout all the thing you mentioned.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!
You found the mother load of info here on this forum. It's been really helpful to me. I, too, use Atlas code 83 track. Take your time and research and ask questions before you sink a lot of money into stuff. (Spending money is easy.)

Whats a good online store to use? I don't have a local hobby store, so most everything I buy will come from online.

Try internethobbbies.com, hobbylinc.com, and toytrainheaven.com. The only one I'd advise strongly against is internettrains.com. Many of members have had unsatisfactory experiences with this outfit.

Back