Please consider joining RailroadForums.com

bob

Administrator
Staff member
If you aren't already a member, please consider signing up over at our sister website, RailroadForums.com

It's an excellent resource for prototype information and photos. We'll also be posting updates there during the upcoming migration.

Membership is free, just like here. No monthly fee, no "in app purchases".

The forums do not share a database, so you'll need to register there if you're not a member. You may choose to use the same user name as you have here if it is available.

http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/index.php

It is quite useful. I kind of go on the assumption that most folks here know about it and use it as well, but that's really not the case.

Many years ago both forums were on that page. The model railroad stuff got spun off as that area got busier and there would be confusion about whether posts were related to real railroads or models. Also, while most model railroaders have at least some interest in the full size stuff, some railroaders/railfans have absolutely no interest in the model railroad side of things.

I'm not alone in making that choice, most of the major railroad magazines don't have model railroad content either.

Bob,

I'm more the opposite - I love my models and the hobby but have almost no interest in the real deal. It doesn't help when I have the real thing no more than 50' from my porch and I see, and hear, them 24/7. That kinda takes the shine of them a bit, especially at 3:00 am when their horn sound area is directly opposite our bed room window.

Mind you, being that close to them does, or can, make for some good rail fanning - if that is your thing. We do get to see some pretty interesting stuff though, especially when they are doing track maintenance. Their right of way is on our property line so I can walk out there and be no further away than 10' to 15' away from what they are doing.

As I mentioned before, I have been a member for years, but haven't been very active at all. I have used this forum to search out prototype information as well as from other sources and just haven't made any posts, but I will have to admit that my main interest now is model railroading.

I grew up with relatives working on the railroad, both the Milwaukee Road and the Northern Pacific. I was lucky enough to have been able to ride on some of he best passenger trains in the country, the Milwaukee Road Hiawatha and the Northern Pacific North Coast Limited. Brings back many good memories.

My model railroad club is in the basement of the old Northern Pacific Depot in Livingston, MT, right across the tracks fron the Montana Rail Link shops, which I have visited a number of times over the years.

Trains are in my blood, but now my main concern is working on and oprating my model railroad.

For years I lived in an apartment building about 100 feet from the tracks with a nice view. When I moved in, I asked the manager "Is the one on the end by the tracks available?" She said that yes it was. (While probably being very happy to find some sucker that actually wanted that one...)

I enjoyed it, and even looked for a place near the tracks when I bought my house. Economics won out though, so I can hear, but not see, trains from my current home.

Do you need a whole new name & Password to join Railroadforums.com?

Update: Larry, I looked a bit closer and the railroadforums Larry was you as well. I updated your e-mail address to the one you have here and sent you a password reset. That will get you back in. If you have problems, let me know.

Larry, the two websites are independent of one another, so you'll have to sign up there. It's quick (and free), pick a user name, password and your e-mail address. It's free, just like this website.

You are welcome to use the same user name you have here, provided somebody else hasn't grabbed it already. Unfortunately in your case, looks like somebody else already picked Larry, so you'll have to add an initial or number or whatever you'd like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have joined as of this morning. Don't know how much use I will make of that forum; but, am now a member!

Bob,

Take all the time you need on this and the forum here, hopefully all will be better and if the format changes it may take some time to get use to. Good luck hope all goes well with the update ... until then.

BCK RR Aka Tom

I already did join railroadforums long ago.

BCK RR

Well, time for another visit! It's looking pretty good now, and the photo gallery is easier to use. We've had a lot of compliments on the new software.

Bob,

Take all the time you need on this and the forum here, hopefully all will be better and if the format changes it may take some time to get use to. Good luck hope all goes well with the update ... until then.

BCK RR Aka Tom

Yes, we will do what needs done. RRForums took about 2 days, I expect this will be somewhere in that range. I do plan to start late tonight, and allow the import to run all night, so that should make it seem a bit shorter.

Back