PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH LIQUIDS NEAR YOUR LAPTOP !

M

MarkInLA

I've ruined my beloved 7 yr old HP Chromebook 14 ! I'm at the library computer today because I spilled my coffee on my laptop yesterday. I immediately turned it over to hopefully keep the liquid from permeating the circuits. But after pulling out the keypad and cleaning it and rest w/alcohol it never recovered fully. Thankfully everything other than my bookmarks is still here. Am going to take it too a repair place, but I fear the repair will cost more than a new one..
Have of you bought a refurbished laptop ? If so, are you happy with it ? Oh, well, I done did it ! Thanks, M

my old one suffered the same fate as yours. The laptop I'm using now is a Dell refurbished unit. It has worked perfectly for the 2 Yrs I have had it. I picked it, because it was a couple hundred bucks cheaper than a new one. It came with the same warranty as a new one. All I needed was a laptop for the web, so I didn't need a screaming graphics, or sound card.

I've gotten refurb laptops from Walmart, and they've functioned reasonably well. Just bear in mind, these are generally a few year-old, off-lease units.

Don't feel bad. not so long ago I sat on my grandson laptop. When the new one arrived my grandson dropped the new one, shattering the display. HP loves me.

Thanks to Terry helping me find the parts I was able to get a replacement for plastic screen on the one I sat on. The new one was not worth repairing, the parts cost more than a new replacement.

Terry's advice is always spot on, thanks again Terry!

Stuff happens! Don't let it get to.

doh.gif

A few years ago my wife was using my HP Pavilion and knocked over a tall glass of water that she had sitting beside it. In spite of her efforts to get all the spilled water off the keyboard with paper towels, some of it got sucked in thru the bottom vents by capillary action and rendered the machine useless. I ended up buying the ASUS laptop that I'm using now. [Luckily the hard drive wasn't affected and I was able to transfer over most of my data.]

Since then I've implemented a rule that, if anybody wants to drink a beverage while using my computer, it better be in a bottle with a re-closable lid - screwed on tight!

GET THIS ! Up until yesterday my Chromebook was still whacked out. I took it to a repair guy. He was knowledgeable and a nice chap. He told me I might need a new motherboard and/or a new glass. That's when I went to the library, as I said..! At the Lib. I was completely able to get into my Goog and Yah sites and email. I lost nothing, including all my bookmarks and Ad block !! Went home thinking,"well I still got to pay for either a repair or a new one. Ugh !
Today I go somewhere to eat (OK, ya got me ! McDonalds). Still there typing this..Everything is back on now !! Only 2 Probs. : 'backspace' is gone and there's a small white cloud-looking thing (screwy back-light? ) on bottom right corner.. But get this too !: It's growing smaller and smaller ! Or, it's a desktop type wallpaper design drifting to the right !! I am having to put the 'bright' up, closer to the end. I believe there's a correlation here.
Anyway, sorry for OP sounding overwhelming. But maybe I've inadvertently found out something for me and others; to not give up with your computer problems BEFORE spending $ on them..OH, even Best Buys repair tried to sell me a new one, saying fixing mine will be more $ than a new one ! Lucky I couldn't get a BBuys credit card..I don't have bad credit. It's that I have never wanted to established credit..It can be an addictive drug to people and I, a struggling musician (Ret.) never wanted to take that chance..At some point I still may buy a new/refurbished one.Thanks for hangin' in and the advice... M

Last edited by a moderator:
GET THIS ! Up until yesterday my Chromebook was still whacked out. I took it to a repair guy. He was knowledgeable and a nice chap. He told me I might need a new motherboard and/or a new glass. That's when I went to the library, as I said..! At the Lib. I was completely able to get into my Goog and Yah sites and email. I lost nothing, including all my bookmarks and Ad block !! Went home thinking,"well I still got to pay for either a repair or a new one. Ugh !
Today I go somewhere to eat (OK, ya got me ! McDonalds). Still there typing this..Everything is back on now !! Only 2 Probs. : 'backspace' is gone and there's a small white cloud-looking thing (screwy back-light? ) on bottom right corner.. But get this too !: It's growing smaller and smaller ! Or, it's a desktop type wallpaper design drifting to the right !! I am having to put the 'bright' up, closer to the end. I believe there's a correlation here.
Anyway, sorry for OP sounding overwhelming. But maybe I've inadvertently found out something for me and others; to not give up with your computer problems BEFORE spending $ on them..OH, even Best Buys repair tried to sell me a new one, saying fixing mine will be more $ than a new one ! Lucky I couldn't get a BBuys credit card..I don't have bad credit. It's that I have never wanted to established credit..It can be an addictive drug to people and I, a struggling musician (Ret.) never wanted to take that chance..At some point I still may by a new/refurbished one.Thanks for hangin' in and the advice... M
I think you have bought some time, and the laptop is in a holding pattern. When the laptop does croak, it will do so very suddenly, and with much finality. Corrosion will take its toll, probably sooner than later.

I think you have bought some time, and the laptop is in a holding pattern. When the laptop does croak, it will do so very suddenly, and with much finality. Corrosion will take its toll, probably sooner than later.

The HP laptop I mentioned in my earlier post exhibited similar behavior. It sat around unused for a few weeks, then a visiting neighbor's son asked if he could try it. He turned it on and it appeared to boot up normally. So I erased all my personal data from the C: drive and gave it to him. When I saw him at the supermarket a few months later, I asked how it was working out - he said the display had gotten all scrambled a few weeks later and he couldn't use it anymore.

Many offices have strict rules that prohibit having any liquids near the computer work areas for this purpose. One time our then current GM didn't want anyone eating their lunches at their desk for this same reason!

Greg

Thank you for all the nice replies.. She's still hangin' in as I type.. 3 remaining small probs : no backspace, cloud in low right corner screen, space bar sometimes needs another hit... I saw this same exact PC refurbished for $140..But I can't afford to do it these days. M

Back