Playing around with a photo-etch stencil to make rust spots

AirbrushNo5

On the ESLJ car…

I had splashed some IPA on the BN car and it created a white spot…

Mixing up some rust paint to fix that spot, I inadvertently got some on my thumb and moved the ESLJ to paint the BN and got a rust blotch on the ESLJ herald…

IMG_7581.jpeg

IMO the spotted circles might look a bit better if you vary the distance between the airbrush, the mask (?) and the car body, and maybe hold the mask at an angle too. I won't need to tell you to play around with it, as you know far better than I do.

One other idea: My mother was a professional artist. Fine arts paintings, although she was not well known. She showed/sold paintings in about half a dozen galleries, and did a few cards for Leanin' Tree, almost all of them acrylics. And a few for the Audubon Society as well.

One of her techniques was to sprinkle fresh, but not yet dried paint with salt, and in her case the idea was to represent falling snow. You MIGHT try it yourself with a very fine--micro-fine--salt too, for the sake of weathering, rather than snow. Or perhaps even another reactive or absorbing "dust." Talcum powder? Flour?

I've been contemplating it too, and I think I would also try using very small micro-fine (I'm working in N scale myself, but it should work in HO too) open cell foam "sponges" on a stick.

I haven't tried it yet...so you go first....

:p

And report back on all of your results with all of these, of course.

Last edited:
On the ESLJ car…

I had splashed some IPA on the BN car and it created a white spot…

Mixing up some rust paint to fix that spot, I inadvertently got some on my thumb and moved the ESLJ to paint the BN and got a rust blotch on the ESLJ herald…

View attachment 173430
They look great. The idea for weathering is to make it as real as possible and my eye says you have definitely succeeded.

Thanks…. an IPA splash on the BN car precipitated the ESLJ clumsiness…

The photo-etch masks are difficult to get close to the surface of ribbed cars as typically they lay above the ribs….
I already tried them on a flat surface boxcar and wasn’t happy with the results…

I was thinking of again trying a hairspray undercoat under the stencilled rust…
The last time I tried this the results were not great…the rust was hard to erode…

One of her techniques was to sprinkle fresh, but not yet dried paint with salt, and in her case the idea was to represent falling snow. You MIGHT try it yourself with a very fine--micro-fine--salt too, for the sake of weathering, rather than snow. Or perhaps even another reactive or absorbing "dust." Talcum powder? Flour?

You can try different grits of sandpaper to grind off artist chalks; that can give you different particle sizes.

I work in N scale as well. I stick pretty much between 220 and 320 grit. I thought 400 grit would be great, but I find 400 just “grabs” the chalk stick without scraping any off, and further pushing to make some dust just fractures off bits that are too large and non-uniform.

320 is my workaday grit, can’t really see the texture from operating distances (in N scale, any texture you can see at operating distance is probably too big. After I dust up my rolling stock and seal it, the dust gives a “glint” when held up really close, which looks like a fine “orange peel”texture, which I find very satisfying for steel boxcars and hoppers. (Even that, too, though, is probably oversized.)

Last edited:

Back