Plasticville Buildings

I had a few of Revell's HO structures, they where very nicely done and stood far above the Plasticville and Atlas structures. I think Model Power took over the line or some of it anyway.

The other structure the Revell Engine House was turned into was the Weekly Herald Newspaper building. I have that one in the middle of a block of businesses on my layout. Its a rather large structure to fit into a town of mostly smaller buildings.
herald.jpg

Yeah Jim. That's the other building from the same mold. And Mark, now that you posted it, the two that I have were indeed Model Power, not Atlas.

Willie

Cuda Jim - seeing that Plasticville motel in your top photo stirred up some fond memories: It was either the first or second structure that I ever owned when I got active in HO scale railroading at age 13! The other building was the Atlas Hillside Lumber & Millwork Company. I had received a Tyco trainset for Christmas with an A-A powered+dummy set of F7's painted in the C&O passenger scheme of blue and silver with yellow trim. I laid out a large loop of sectional track on my bedroom floor, half of it under my bed ("staging" LOL) and set that motel and the Hillside Lumber building near the re-railer track [which I thought was a road crossing]. Some Matchbox vehicles completed the scene. Man, I was in hog heaven during those days!:cool:

I have the Roadside in and the Atlas station, my favorites ar Barr Mill wooden buildings. Only problem is they are a little pricey.

Some of the Plasticville stuff has gotten very collectible! It used to be consider junk and pretty cheap at train shows etc. Now it's like the new Lionel and certain items in certain colors are "rare" and go for big bucks apparently.

The bakery and engine house are indeed the same building shell, I have both. I no longer recall who the manufacturer was at the time that I acquired mine, (probably Atlas), but I believe that there was a third structure made from the same components. Willie

It Was by Revell. The building was also sold as a Summer Stock Theater. I enlarged the Enginehouse, and combined a few more into a foundry. What I liked about the Atlas station was the add on platform sections, which allowed for expansion. There was a photograph of the prototype in a recent issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.

This is a Life Like coaling tower. I think it came out pretty well considering my meager skills:
002.JPG

The water tower is a Walthers kit:
010.JPG

I don't like the way the 'ropes' for the counterweights and spout pull came out. I plan to replace them with some thin wire.

Flyboy, I like both models!

I have found that if I could put some weight on the spout to pull the ropes taught; or weight on the ropes themselves bringing the entire length of the ropes tight, I ccan then wet the ropes out with liquid cement, like Testors, Plaststruct Bondene; or, some such other liquid cement. I find that this stiffens the rope and then they maintain this tight look. I like thread for these applications as it looks like rope, where as wire looks like wire.

Flyboy, I like both models!

I have found that if I could put some weight on the spout to pull the ropes taught; or weight on the ropes themselves bringing the entire length of the ropes tight, I ccan then wet the ropes out with liquid cement, like Testors, Plaststruct Bondene; or, some such other liquid cement. I find that this stiffens the rope and then they maintain this tight look. I like thread for these applications as it looks like rope, where as wire looks like wire.

That's a good idea. I'll have to try that. IIRC, I used braided fishing line for the ropes.

Hey guys it's been a while since I posted here. I saw the thread title and had to join in. On another forum I picked up the moniker, The Master of Plasticville' I like to see what I can do with these vintage memories from my childhood. To make them as nice as I dreamed they were then. By the way, they have ALWAYS been a Bachmann product. My plan is build a town out of them that will of course be named 'Bachmann' Here are some before and after pictures
BEFORE (1).JPG
FRANKIES CHEVROLET  (1).JPG
DSCF6195.JPG
DSCF6200.JPG
DSCF6097.JPG

Yes, nice work! Is that Oliver Hardy and his wife in front of the Regal Men's Store?

Back