Planning for my U.P. East L.A. Layout

zkr78

Soo...been working in the basement on what will become the new train room and getting it ready. Lots of reorganizing, donating and/or taking stuff to the dump. I have also been playing with my design software.

This HO layout will be loosely based on the U.P's East L.A subdivision and points east. I will be setting it in the "modern" era, so ballpark 1985-1995. I will also run some "excursions" with vintage motive power and rolling stock. I am planning on Amtrak service as well. As this is a major hub in UP's west coast operation; intermodal, produce, and petrochemical will be major industries along with mixed freight. Early in my civilian career I actually worked on large oil tankers that brought oil from Valdez to the refineries near the port of LA/LB.

As an aside, Google Maps/Earth is awesome for model railroading. Didn't have that in my earlier days....LOL.

Since threads with pictures are more interesting.....

Here is the start of my track planning for both levels. I am sure this will change some as I "mess" with it and I am sure you fine individuals will provide some great feedback. Basic idea is a classification yard, industrial switching and some mainline running. I also want to be able to have the trains go "somewhere"....

Got a lot of infrastructure to do with the room , so I am hoping to be doing benchwork by this winter, which is good since up here the Sun goes away and leaves the Moon in charge....

Cheers!
-Z

Attachments

• UP Crippled Creek Division LL V2 Lower.jpg
    UP Crippled Creek Division LL V2 Lower.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 178
  • UP Crippled Creek Division V2.1.1 Upper.jpg
    UP Crippled Creek Division V2.1.1 Upper.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 206
  • layout space.jpg
    layout space.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 181