Piping, any scale

I have plans for a large paper mill. I'll need a lot of piping, which isn't that hard to figure out. What is a little more difficult is what to use for elbows.
Im kinda a detail freak too, so I do plan on using straws and such more in the background and more detailed lines with flanges, insulated lines, saddles, etc. in the more visible areas. Im in the building trades so this part of the layout is pretty important to me to be accurate

I need everything from 1" up to 30" piping for my O scale mill.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Patrick

Here is a few pics of what I have done with straws in a mill creek area. Yet to be "poured"
3-10-139_zpscd4b94f8.png

3-10-133_zpsf650060d.png

The elbows could be made with a series of v-notches in straws or tubing.

Thanks, I looked at the Plastruct site and must have overlooked them.

Any other suggestions? Ken, I have tried to miter some sections but the result has been less than ideal. Would prefer 1 pc fittings

Walthers offers a refinery piping kit in HO scale. A large amount of pieces in the kit. Retail is around $12.00. Consists of a couple of sizes of pipe with a bend or two near one end. Several 90 degree short pieces. The kit also includes valve bodies and valve wheels and bolted pipe flanges. Obviously would only represent the smaller size pipe and fittings of O scale but still useful for some areas. They may offer the same kit in O scale?

Just a thought, what about the corners on the spues from model kits for elbows and the rest for regular pipes. I've used some for piping and such. And you could take a straight spue, heat it till soft and bend it to what ever degree bend you need

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,
I have picked up a few of the refinery kits that I have seen around. Decent,simple look. I've been looking at Plastruct stuff online. Would be nice if someone would have some stuff on hand in the stores. Guess I ight have to bite the bullet and just order some stuff and go from there. I need a LOT of it.

Thanks
Patrick

Just a thought, what about the corners on the spues from model kits for elbows and the rest for regular pipes. I've used some for piping and such. And you could take a straight spue, heat it till soft and bend it to what ever degree bend you need

Dave, I also plan on doing some of this too. I think I have a good start on small bore piping but its the larger stuff I need the most help with.

Thanks
Patrick

Might be worth checking the local Home Depot or plumbing supply house for some different size pipes and fittings. Another source for possible pipes would be auto parts stores with metal piping for brake lines and transmission lines. An auto parts store or Hardware store would have a small hand held Pipe Bender for smaller diameter metal pipes.

In o scale, a typical 30inch pulp stick line will be5/8 diameter. It would be fairly easy to find plastic tubing that size, even as some mentioned hardware stores. I would be tempted to experiment with heating it to bend it. If you use hollow tubing, you'd probably have to pu something inside it when bending it to prevent kinking it.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose

I save all my parts trees when I build a kit especially the small ones.
They have 90 and 45 bends and can be inserted into the Scenic tubing.
Just a little work scraping the seams.

Back