Pin Vise Drill Bit Sizes and Sources

GNMT76

I have a set of pin vise drill bits sized #61-80. Are larger (#60 and below) and smaller (#81 and above) at all available or even manufactured? If so, where can I buy them and in what size (#) ranges?

I've seen sets on eBay and Amazon, but they're sized in either mm or tenths of an inch. I don't know how those mesurements compre to the numbered (#) sizes above, so unless you understand those comparisons well, please refer me to sources for the numbered (#) sizes.

Thanks!

Walther's should carry the drill bit sizes you are looking for...Walthers.com. I purchased a set of bits at Walthers that covered every size one would need for modeling at a reasonable price.

Greg

I'll need to check, but mine came in a nice round bit holder and a clear plastic top. I'll check the box to see if it as a stock number. I have purchased the two packs of bits from Walthers.

Back later with the info.

Greg

There is an Oakland, California jewelry makers tool supply company Otto Frei ( website http://www.ottofrei.com/ )that has all the micro drill bits,twist drills, files, tweezers and pliers you could ever dream of. I buy size 70-80 twist drill bits in packages of 10 for under $10.00 a package. 70-80 online pages for the tools catalog. Many items are US made but they also carry often hard to get Swiss and German precision tools. The ordering site is secure with https encrypted traffic over the web.

I have a set of pin vise drill bits sized #61-80. Are larger (#60 and below) and smaller (#81 and above) at all available or even manufactured? If so, where can I buy them and in what size (#) ranges?
No, #80 is the smallest. But on the other end of the scale, they do go all the way up to a #1. I believe you can get the larger sizes from Granger or MSC Industrial.

The smaller sizes #60-#80 can be found at a local ACE or True Value Hardware store. Because of their lack of popularity, they are often in a dusty slide drawer case pushed back out of the way on a lower shelf, so you need to ask to find them.

Model Railroader published a two page centerfold years ago that gave everything you could think of including sizes for clearance and tap.
I have it and will scan and post - check back here in a couple days.
(it may take me that long to get it done - sorry)

I found the small sized drill bits I needed for my Pin Vise at Ace Hardware. They where prominently displayed near the drill motors and other drill bits and not hard to find.

I found the small sized drill bits I needed for my Pin Vise at Ace Hardware. They where prominently displayed near the drill motors and other drill bits and not hard to find.

My local, helpful Ace is so well-stocked, I always say that if it doesn't have it, it ain't been made yet. Except for pin vises and their drill bits, that is. The guys there had never heard of a pin vise.

Last edited:

Back