Pilot truck keeps jumping the track

Swap truck

• Stock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rivarossi

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
.....problems with small dia wheels dropping into these 'frog valleys',...even steam engine leading trucks??
https://modelrailroadforums.com/for...eel-dips-in-turnouts.35889/page-2#post-576000

But yesterday I experienced another hic-cup that reinforced my desire for gap-less turnouts. I was playing around running a couple of my steam engines thru a track section on my upper deck,….a mainline section that would take my trains pass the port facilities and into the SantaFe train station. Bumpy, bumpy, bumpy, as they traversed this series of 3 curved-switches, then a 3-way switch at the end. Here is that section of track,..
3 dble cruves, then a 3-way.jpg

It appears as though the leading truck wheels, and possibly some of the tender wheels all took turns dropping into the frog voids. In some cases the leading truck wheels even wanted to derail, and some did. I took out one of my very nice Kato trucks and pushed it thru that section of track,...same thing, bump, bump, bump as it dipped in every frog. And look at the Peco turnout, it certainly looks like close tolerances that should prevent this excessive dipping !!
DSCF9183.jpg

The Peco 3-way is even a bigger problem in the straight thru direction,...both wheels drop into two frog voids simultaneously,...and I have multiple 3-ways on my layout.

Likely one of the problems here is the small diameter of those wheels. Look here at their size in comparison to the leading truck wheels on several steamers, and a container car,..
DSCF9178.jpg
DSCF9181.jpg

Actually these pilot trucks can derail on those switches somewhere in advance of where you first really detect it,..making you think it was not a result of the switch itself.

Back