Phoenix/Tucson Hobby Shops et al?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Hello all, I've decided to take a few days to head south and warm up, and explore a little of Saguaro National Park.

I'm planning on flying into Phoenix and driving down to Tucson. Are there any hobby shops in either of those cities, or in between, that you all recommend? Also, any museums that can't be missed? And finally, what's traffic like on the Sunset Route these days? Is there any good train watching down that way?

Thanks, Eric.

"An Affair With Trains" is several miles north of Sky Harbor airport, but worth the trip.
I believe they have a website.
I found several items in their consignment section that moved to a new home in Alabama.

I'm not sure if Roy's Train Store is still in business in Phoenix since its been a few years since I purchased a Santa Fe box car from him. Check the back section of Model Railroader for hobby shop by state that advertise in MR.

I found that many of the hobby shops in the southwest are primarily N Scale or Narrow gauge due to space limitations for model railroad layouts. This may have changed since my last visit to Phoenix.

Have you considered driving up to Jerome, Arizona? Jerome is an old mining town in the mountains and I believed it burned down twice. Many of the buildings are constructed out stone and brick to be fire proof and still remain. It's a scenic drive up the mountains from Phoenix to Jerome at approximately 7,200 feet in elevation.

Model Railroader did a project layout, the Jerome & Southwestern, constructed by John Olson in the early 80's and MR published a book on the layout's construction.

Enjoy your trip.

Greg

Last edited:

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com