Pennsylvania RR 4-8-2 M1 and M1A Project coming up

The pic of the caboose I am trying to emulate on page 4 is NOT a stock PRR color. It's more red I believe. It looks nicer but I don't think it matches the stock color. I used PRR Caboose red. Looks more crap brown.

Last edited:
"Crap Brown" or variations on the "Oxide Red" theme were pretty popular with the railroads. Let's not forget they were basically a bunch of cheapskates. I'm not sure if I like the texture black either, but you did a good job on it and it looks like the cabeese our Pennsy modeler has at the club. Sometimes promotional color schemes were tried, or donated equipment was spruced up with non standard schemes. I'm not enough of a Pennsy expert to say one way or another. When in doubt I go by the prototype!

OK, i'm ready for tomorrow which is when my Decal juice will be here. After looking on the bay and some other sites, I think mine came out pretty good for my first attempt at paint and body work. Here is some shots before decals. Perfect? Not by any stretch of the imagination but as the boys say, she's a 3 footer. I learned A LOT and will apply that to my next project. I have another caboose just like this one and I think I'll get that one finished. This set will be for my static park display for my set up which I am still contemplating. One thing I do have is time. I also better pick up some couplers..... I just saw a tiny spring bounce off my head and into the wild blue yonder.

IMG_5728rs (2208 x 1656).jpg
IMG_5727rs (2208 x 1656).jpg

The paint is a good first effort. The tender looks very high. Are the springs above the trucks? The trucks should Be against the bolsters and the springs toward the track.

The paint is a good first effort. The tender looks very high. Are the springs above the trucks? The trucks should Be against the bolsters and the springs toward the track.

You are correct sir. I had a coupler mismatch and flipped the springs on the tender instead of the Caboose. They will both be installed correctly tomorrow. I knew you would catch that. As soon as I flipped the springs on the tender, It was way top heavy and tippy. Seen it right away. Especially when I looked at my pre-disassembly pics.

Thought so :) A little suggestion for next time: Tint your smokebox gray with black. You might want to check some Pennsy photos. Our Pennsy guy's models had a pretty dark smokebox gray but not as dark as Floquil graphite. Since you're going for an exhibit here, the color variations don't matter. Colors were often approximated, or ad libbed on displays. if you're going for a prototypical scheme next time, check those photos! Does it run? Congrats on your first one! May there be many more!

Thought so :) A little suggestion for next time: Tint your smokebox gray with black. You might want to check some Pennsy photos. Our Pennsy guy's models had a pretty dark smokebox gray but not as dark as Floquil graphite. Since you're going for an exhibit here, the color variations don't matter. Colors were often approximated, or ad libbed on displays. if you're going for a prototypical scheme next time, check those photos! Does it run? Congrats on your first one! May there be many more!

As far as Smokebox Gray, I saw some which were lighter gray like this pic, and some which were almost black so what's correct??? They all are so no sleep lost. Even the purist scratch their heads since one paint shop didn't have enough gray, so they mixed some black so they had enough to do the job (cheap bastards).... So we are all right.

aaaaaa.jpg

Yeah, I'm not modeling PRR only have a display. I'm from Minnesota so I prefer Soo Line, BNSF or Milwaukee which are what my Diesel rigs are.

Alan, the Loco runs excellent. I just need to run my wire from the tender to the Loco. Once I cleaned the 30 year old grease (which had dried and hardened) out of the gear box, it ran even better.

Did some decals tonight. Have not done anything like that for 50 + years....... Decided not to get anal about it and used some numbers which came on the decal sheet. There was NO WAY I was going to try to piece single numbers together and try to get them straight..... Nobody but a Die-Hard would even have a clue that the number I used was for a earlier model Cabin Car....... Or that the build date wasn't correct......

IMG_5732rs (2208 x 1656).jpg
IMG_5733rs (2208 x 1656).jpg

Took a couple shots of my young small collection (besides the dozen units on lay-away). The brass M1A is too nice to mess with as is it's tender and the NOS N5B, but I have a few brass pieces coming which I won't think twice about modifying and customizing. My modern Diesels are all DCC/Sound units as well as the Athearn Units I will be buying. I think I will start designing a couple layouts with the software I have (AnyRail). I'm kicking around a few ideas right now (maybe a helix on each end for a return loop with a bottom level set up as a yard to play).

IMG_5729rs (2208 x 1656).jpg
IMG_5730rs (2208 x 1656).jpg
IMG_5731rs (2208 x 1656).jpg

Back