Painting Tracks

cncproadwarrior

North of the 49th
I searched this forum for painting tracks and found one but it did not really answer my question.

I've tried a few different types of paint on a test track and none adhered well - Poly Scale and Craft Acrylic. I would have to go with 2 coats this way. Is there a "one coat" paint that I can use that adheres well to nickel silver track? I intend to use a brush.

Bernie

I use flat black accrylics from WM. I buy the big bottle & do it w/a short bristled brush about 1/4 to 1/2" wide. It cost about $2.67 & have only used about a half bottle. You can thin it w/rubbing alcohol if you like, but, I don't thin mine. If you want it to look rusty colored add a little brown or dark yellow on a pallet next to your black paint & dip your brush in it every once in awhile. After I paint the side of the track I wipe the top of the rail w/acetone on a soft rag.
I've tried to paint rails w/a magic marker & paint sticks. The tip wears off too fast on both & the cost is way to expensive.
I've already painted about 500 ft. of HO scale track & have about 150 ft. to go.
Be sure & do it before you put down the ballast. LOL

Larry

Bernie, WM=Walmart. :) I've been using Testors paint pens. They have one set that has four track and tie colors. The tips are just the right shape to paint the inside web of the rails and the colors are very goos. It dries dead flat and I think the results are pretty good. Assuming I can get down to the layout before the end of this century, I'll post some pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be sure & do it before you put down the ballast. LOL
Larry, I'm going to do better than that, I believe Ill paint it before I put down the track :D
Cheers
Willis

... I believe Ill paint it before I put down the track :D
Cheers
Willis
I once made that mistake on flex track before learning better. No way will the slider-rail slide or the other rail bend when dry :eek:.

Mac: I'm curious about that gizmo myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try using Krylon ( yeah I splet it wrong) ultra flat spray paint get it at walley world cheaper then "rail brown " froma hobby shop and it looks great:D

The rail painter works great.
I found if i use a cotton q-tip to clean the side of the rails with a little rubbing alcohol the paint sticks.
It is hard to see in the pic there is a clear plastic disk that helps keep the paint off of the ties. It has made painting rails a lot easier.
I found that painting the inside of a switch around the frog and points easier on the bench. I use a vise like this one to hold the switch.
I then paint flex track in place before ballast.

I once made that mistake on flex track before learning better.
Uh! thanks for the confession :eek: on the other hand I'll be more than happy :) not to make the same mistake :D

Cheers
Willis

Back