Painting to look like cement

railBuilderDhd

I wanted to know if anyone has tips on painting cement like the window edges made of cement. I'm thinking of a tan and grey paint mix but open for ideas.
Thanks,
Dave

Dave, the job is already done for you. Just buy Floquil or Polly S aged concrete paint. No mixing and it really does look like concrete.

What about the way cement gets chipped away over time? Anyone have ideas for that? I'm working with a model that has plastic steps to the from door and cement window edges.
Dave

Sure, just use an Exacto knife and cut out some chunks here and there. Paint it when it looks right to you. Concrete will still be the same color, chipped or not. Remember the three foot rulle though. If you can't tell it's there from three feet away, it's a waste of time doing it. It's easy to get bogged down in small details when you're modeling and then realize you've spent a lot of time doing things that only you will ever notice.

You could simulate the effects in those photos by using a Dremel tool on the slowest speed using an emery wheel. OTOH, that's a model of an abandoned building. Concrete spalling like that would almost never be allowed to happen in an occupied structure without being repaired. Unless you're going to model an abandoned building, this really isn't a good model to emulate.

John uses a dremel with a #1 bit to "chip" his concrete. To weather it he starts with Floquil concrete and foundation. Apply 2 coats of concrete and let dry. Then apply one coat of foundation and let dry for 1 week. Then weather with THIN washes of black. When that has dried 2 days, take a #2 pencil and draw in lines where you would like them. Then take a brush and lightly blend in the lines with some plastic compatible thinner. John uses Scalecoat #2. Hope this helps. Ron

I used a rectangular corner of metal file with a sharp edge and ran it vertically on several of my loading docks.

As for concrete paint, I use reefer gray and then dust it with rattlecan flat white. After it drys for about 24 hours I airbrush on a grimy or steam engine black wash that is cut with 70% alcohol.

Larry

Dave here is the one that I have. It may not be the perfect color, but really never see concrete that is as yellow as polly scale "aged concrete or as green as there normal concrete color. For some reason concrete looks grey to me.

Larry

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Lary it looks good. I just picked up the polly scale aged concrete paint today and want to try it. It looks like it may be a good start but I can work more colors or less as needed. The think about concrete I noticed is when it's new it's white or light gray and when it's old it more tan in color.
Dave

Back