Painting model buildings / scenery

First of all Rich, welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of model railroading. There are many ways to paint model structures. Most popular is airbrushing, rattle cans or brush painting. A lot depends on what material you are painting and what you have. I have used all three that I posted but have not tried sponges. I have also built structures made from styrene plastic (most popular), resin, laser-cut wood, Hydrocal, white metal castings, cardstock and just plain paper glued to cardboard. Each one has to be treated differently. I started with rattle cans and brush painting styrene plastic kits many years ago since I didn't own an airbrush at the time. While I like acrylics the best, good results can be had with enamels and other solvent based paints. Just be careful and use the proper protective breathing equipment when using anything with solvents or anything being sprayed; or a properly vented paint booth.
Plastics, resins and metal generally need to be washed clean of mold-release material. Many materials (resins, wood, Hydrocal and metal) are best if primed with primer from an airbrush or rattle cans available at Walmart or other stores. Practice on a cheap styrene kit; if you don't like it, just paint over it.
Read some of the threads under the headings of "Showin' Off", "Structures & Buildings" or "Painting, Weathering and Detailing". Google "painting model buildings" or look for videos on YouTube. There's a wealth of information out there and there are a hundred ways to do them. You just need to find some methods that you are comfortable with. For the most part I prime with white or gray when needed, then use rattle cans or airbrush for basic color and add highlights with a brush. I prefer acrylics these days, but I still have a stash of enamels that I purchased years ago. For me at least, it isn't always convenient to use the airbrush because of the time needed to set it up and clean it up afterwards.
Good luck and post pictures of your work and ask for comments.

First of all Rich, welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of model railroading. There are many ways to paint model structures. Most popular is airbrushing, rattle cans or brush painting. A lot depends on what material you are painting and what you have. I have used all three that I posted but have not tried sponges. I have also built structures made from styrene plastic (most popular), resin, laser-cut wood, Hydrocal, white metal castings, cardstock and just plain paper glued to cardboard. Each one has to be treated differently. I started with rattle cans and brush painting styrene plastic kits many years ago since I didn't own an airbrush at the time. While I like acrylics the best, good results can be had with enamels and other solvent based paints. Just be careful and use the proper protective breathing equipment when using anything with solvents or anything being sprayed; or a properly vented paint booth.
Plastics, resins and metal generally need to be washed clean of mold-release material. Many materials (resins, wood, Hydrocal and metal) are best if primed with primer from an airbrush or rattle cans available at Walmart or other stores. Practice on a cheap styrene kit; if you don't like it, just paint over it.
Read some of the threads under the headings of "Showin' Off", "Structures & Buildings" or "Painting, Weathering and Detailing". Google "painting model buildings" or look for videos on YouTube. There's a wealth of information out there and there are a hundred ways to do them. You just need to find some methods that you are comfortable with. For the most part I prime with white or gray when needed, then use rattle cans or airbrush for basic color and add highlights with a brush. I prefer acrylics these days, but I still have a stash of enamels that I purchased years ago. For me at least, it isn't always convenient to use the airbrush because of the time needed to set it up and clean it up afterwards.
Good luck and post pictures of your work and ask for comments.[/

Back