Painting attatched details

V&AL

Fred's Loco Shop Foreman
I recently purchased an Athearn BNSF GP 38-2 with added details (got it for $20!!!). Here's the catch, the details are not painted. How do I paint them without having a dis-colored patch where they were installed?

A. Repaint the whole engine.

Alt A., Floquil BNSF green is a decent match, though just a tad darker in some cases. It should work decently though.

The photo attached was "patched" with Floquil BNSF Orange & Green in the center section of the hood, and shows the difference between my bottles and the Athearn paint. Not much.

The unit I modeled is a one off unit with a re-painted center section that was done after an engine fire, and after the H2 scheme took over, hence the H2 "BNSF" on an H1 hood. The Un-repainted sections need to be faded on mine, but that's irrelevant to your pursuit.

Floquil Orange, its also used on the unit pictured.

Its important to remember that it may be a better match or worse match, depending on batch, paint sometimes varies ever so slightly from batch to batch.

Josh, that reminds me of a unit that has had parts replaced from a wreck unit. I've seen diesels with different colored engine room compartment doors.

I have a few more planned, including a unit with "NSF" on one side, and another with a Conrail nose door.

Back