Painting a Great Northern 2-8-8-0

All finished guys. Test run Thursday. the programming went well, and it ran on the test track. Just for fun I posed it next to the T-1 which is up next. These monsters were designed for heavy freight and high speed. They could take a heavy train and run with the Z-6 Challengers when it came to top speed. I'm not a GN modeler, but they had some awesome locomotives! Now I have to total up the bill. Hmmmm… :)
IMG_2274.JPG
IMG_2275.JPG
IMG_2276.JPG

I did the run test at the club last night. It went well. The model is a little stiff, nothing some break in time won't solve, but it ran well overall. It's a little noisy, typical of models from the 1960's era, caused mostly by the transfer gearbox. The guys at the club loved it. I almost didn't get to bring it home! I hope you all enjoyed the project. I'll keep doing them as long as there is interest.
IMG_2286.JPG
IMG_2287.JPG
IMG_2288.JPG

Beautiful work Alan, inspirational!
I have only one steamer and it is an old brass model, tenshodo I believe.
It’s done up in a private road and I’ve contemplated changing it to GN, may not be the correct type tho.
I’ll have to find it.

That's beautiful. I'm a huge GN fan and I picked up a Tenshodo Consolidation. It's painted all black with a silver smokebox cover and the lettering and logo aren't the best. I'll probably paint the smokebox and re-decal it soon.

Beautiful work Alan, inspirational!
I have only one steamer and it is an old brass model, tenshodo I believe.
It’s done up in a private road and I’ve contemplated changing it to GN, may not be the correct type tho.
I’ll have to find it.

Thanks Rico! Tenshodo did many GN models, as well as SP. When you find it post a photo. We'll be able to identify it. They are good solid runners, and very well built.

That's beautiful. I'm a huge GN fan and I picked up a Tenshodo Consolidation. It's painted all black with a silver smokebox cover and the lettering and logo aren't the best. I'll probably paint the smokebox and re-decal it soon.

Glad you like it! When you re-decal it take care with the heralds. The rivet detail on these models is very coarse, and I had issues getting the herald to settle over them properly. It took multiple passes with decal setting solutions and pokes with the #11 blade.

Back