Paint remover

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

I have used Pine Sol to remove stages of factory lettering and some paint from rolling stock, BUT what is a good paint removed for Testors spray and Krylon, etc rattle can spray paint. I am afraid I will melt the body if I use something too strong.

Sirfoldalot

Plucked Tailfeathers
Staff member
I have had good success using Walmart's brand of Oven Cleaner - has not damaged any plastic so far.
Can't speak for how it will do on the Krylon (haven;t tried it)

there's always old style brake fluid, origional pine sol, 90% alcohol.... and a few others ..

as always, test on a hidden spot first ..

flyboy2610

Loveably weird
My go to paint stripper is denatured alcohol. It doesn't work fast but it works well. I usually let victim..... er., subject soak submerged for 24 hours then check it. Do not use acetone on a plastic model! Don't ask how I know this. :oops:

I tried the Wal Mart oven cleaner this weekend, it works very well, I looked at the results after almost two hours, and most of the bad paint job washed away with water and a tooth brush. Gives me confidence. Thanks everyone.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com