Paint in the bottle: shaken or stirred?

Genetk44,

How do you get a small stainless steel nut into a bottle of Vallejo? I've thought about trying to remove the plastic nozzle piece, but I've been afraid to try because I don't want to break something.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Tom

On the Vallejo bottle, I grab the tip with a napkin and just rock it back and forth while pulling. Comes straight out.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the tip on the Vallejo bottles! Follow-up question - what size stainless steel nut? I'm going to have to make a trip to the hardware store... or should I stir the paint in a Vallejo bottle?

Thanks!

Regards,
Tom

Just remembered to try my Oster massager with a bottle of Floquil which had been sitting for over three years. It worked beautiful - a minute or so and the paint was thoroughly stirred.
1565888513318.png

With apologies to Mr. Bond, this has nothing to do with martinis... ;)

How do you prepare your paints in the bottles for use; are they shaken, or are they stirred? (Or is there another option I'm missing?)

I've tried several different methods; drop some BB's in the bottle (bad move -- they rust!), and have now tried stainless steel nuts -- but at 25 cents a throw, am I getting my money's worth? (That was in a 100-pack at $25.00.) And I think they're beating the daylights out of the cardboard insert under the lid -- concerned about that. I've tried all kinds of stirring sticks, and recently bought a Badger paint mixer. If I pull the mixer too far out of the bottle when it's running, it throws little bitty spots of paint all over the place... but if I turn the mixer off too soon, there is a lot of paint left on the mixer -- and cleaning it up is no fun.

Anyway -- I turn to wiser minds than mine for answers. What works best in your experiences, and why?

Thanks in advance for your helpful answers.

Regards,
Tom Stockton
I normally stir mine. I have been using floquil and testors. When i'm done, I wipe out the inside of the lid and around the top of the bottle. I'm thinking this makes the lid not stick and be hard to get off.

Back when I was making plastic models (cars,planes,spacecraft,monsters) I'd use a old spru to mix my Testors and clean the spru with the brush since that's where the paint is going anyway. Now, using the acrylics I get from Michaels (American,something else) I just shake vigrously, but that stuff is so thick I don't think it separates. Then I simply use the cap to dip my brush in. I'm in N and don't usually need much.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the tip on the Vallejo bottles! Follow-up question - what size stainless steel nut? I'm going to have to make a trip to the hardware store... or should I stir the paint in a Vallejo bottle?

Thanks!

Regards,
Tom

Whatever size will slip through the opening, the bigger the better.

Back