Paint color formularies

DairyStateDad

Mumbling in the corner
I have been poking around the Internet in search of paint recipes to get various popular shades. I am experimenting with the system written up a few years ago in RMC for using craft paints, amended with some specialty painting fluids, to substitute for pricier model RR paints. I'm willing to do some trial and error myself, but it would be nice if someone has already gone down this road and published some color mixing guidelines for at least a starting point for popular colors like caboose red, Pullman green, rust, and so on. Has anyone run across such a resource?

Second, for priming plastic kit parts, does anyone make a suitable brush-on paint? It's going to be a few weeks before I have my son's old room set up so I can use a rattle can spray paint there.

Last edited:
Has anyone run across such a resource?

Not for craft paints. I remember that RMC article, but if memory serves, it was more of a "How To" and didn't have much on color guidelines. You might want to do a little cost benefit analysis. Those Liquitex flow improvers and so forth aren't cheap. It might be worth your while to see just what you'd save. I use craft paints myself, on wood and scenery, but some skills are required to make them work on plastic or metal. It's been my experience that even the pricier paints are generally the cheapest part of the project. I'm not trying to discourage you here. To be honest, my own thinking is colored by a serious shortage of hobby time.

Thanks, I have downloaded it, and I think it could be useful, at least for color matching. Much appreciated.

Back