OT: Christmas present

Red Oak & Western

Christmas arrived and Santa brought a new toy: a 3D printer! (Well, he actually only brought the order confirmation, the printer is shipping from New Jersey due in via FedEx on January 3rd.)

I've already downloaded a couple of 3D models to play with. In addition to the standard 3D printer setup and calibration files, I found one an HO scale downspout. That got me to thinking, I can easily design an electrical power meter and entrance. And roof fans and air conditioners and ... and ... and ...

So Merry Christmas to all and have a safe and HAPPY New Year!

I got a book on the Rio Grande Southern, my favorite railroad!

What, a favorite has to stay a favorite, forever? With how things change in today's world that certainly is incongruous!

I guess maybe I should clarify, never had either the Great Northern or Southern Pacific as a favorite, although I am interested in them. My layout is a Northern Pacific layout and is still my favorite standard gauge railroad. However, when it comes to Narrow Gauge, the RGS is my favorite. Standard Gauge/Narrow Gauge, huge difference, HUGE DIFFERENCE!

Last edited by a moderator:
The printer arrived yesterday and I got it assembled last night. As soon as I get the calibration done, I'm going to print 2 model railroad related items: a gutterhead and downspout and an electric meter and service entrance. I'll post pictures once they are done.

The printer arrived yesterday and I got it assembled last night. As soon as I get the calibration done, I'm going to print 2 model railroad related items: a gutterhead and downspout and an electric meter and service entrance. I'll post pictures once they are done.

What Brand, and model did you get?

Yes, break it up and use it for coal in your tenders.

As for the use of a 3D printer is concerned, I have no use. I enjoy the process of designing with paper and pencil and building models with my hands, the old fashion way. This may be because I am at a loss for being able to understand computer-ease and do not know how to use CAD. I'm not talking against 3D printing! Only that it is beyond my capabilities and I have no interest in learning this new trick!

Mark, I understand completely. Until about 4 years ago, I had a drafting table with a Vemco V-track setup in the basement. I did all my design work on it. Then a friend offered to help with a complex design, showed how the software checked for all the "it won't fit together that way" problems and automatically generated a bill of materials, and I took the plunge. None of this was model railroad related. But I soon found how I could expand its use (the software) into my hobbies. Again, the 3D printer isn't primarily a model railroading tool, but it can be used as one. And, as the arthritis gets worse in the hands, any tool that can do the fine detail work for me is of value.

PS: Anyone interested in a Vemco V-track with multiple scales? It's yours for the shipping.

Yes, break it up and use it for coal in your tenders.

Don't break it up before making scenic rock castings. Coal makes the best rubber molds.

With the current temperatures all over - Perhaps a better use for it would be in the fireplace!

Back