Opinions needed - want to lose the "toys"

DakotaLove39

Always Improvising
Hi all,

Like I've said, I have a whole paperbox full of Life-like PowerLoc track. and atleast a dozen or so cheap freight cars (Tyco and Lifelike stuff). I want to start making the shift to real entry-level stuff, and that means I have to figure out what to do with this old stuff.

The track all still works fine, my trains run DC on it just fine, so I figure maybe it's worth selling it? I thought maybe some parent might want it for their kid's set or something. Should I bother with selling it or just trash it all and rip off some rails for later detailing?

Same goes for a set of old brass track my coworker gave me. It (and an old Bachmann C&O loco) were from a set he got his kid back in like 1975. Suprisingly the engine still runs with no problems, and I've even used it to fetch stuck cars. It doesn't look the greatest though, so I'm concerned it wouldn't be worth selling off.

Finally, I think the cars are worth selling. I did a pretty good job of not breaking anything aside from a couple stirrup steps, they're still clean and don't have scratches. Basically I just want to get into more Athearn/Walthers/etc. rollingstock, as I like the handful of Roundhouse and Athearn cars I have already. What's the best way to ship these old loose cars? Pack them up nice in a USPS flat rate box or what?

Actually a lot of people consider the Tyco equipment to be a modeler's challenge. Take something as clunky as those old cars and make them look as good as Walthers products. It requires a lot of time and attention to detail, but if you've assembled other car kits you might be up for it. Typically it's a matter of replacing trucks, wheels, coupler boxes (and couplers), shaving off any clunky details like molded plastic ladders and replacing them with wire or separately cast and glued on details. Then repaint, decal, and weather accordingly.

Who knows. You could take an ugly yellow Tyco box car and turn it into an award winning piece of rolling stock. Or, do nothing at all to them and keep them around to remind yourself how much better your new gear is ;)

Selling could bring in a few bucks but I don't find it worth the effort to sell. Frankly I'd rather just give them away - actually I did. Gave a handful of 'train set' parts to friends to get them started.

Like LoudMusic says, you probably wouldn't get a lot of $$ for them. If you already have paint and tools a few bucks of stirrups, wheels, trucks, grabs and couplers will go a long way. A good way to sharpen your modeling skills; if you screw it up, nothing is really lost. I have made some decent models out of old Tyco and Life Like stuff, not in the league with P2K or Intermountain but good enough for the three-foot rule. I think I read some where that you could rip the roadbed off PowerLoc track; the track could be used for industrial spurs or other low-use areas.
willie

I've bought quite a bit of Tyco rolling stock online for $5 or $6 a box with 3 or 4 cars to a box. In some cases they needed rebuilding but in most cases they were in good condition. I do what I can to them and add body mounted Kadee couplers and run them with my other rolling stock. I have stuff from Atlas, Bachmann, Athearn, Stewart, Life-Like, Tyco, IHC, AHM, Roco, Concor, Front Range and a few others I don't remember right at the moment. I have stuff from Tyco that dates back to the 60's.

If it's just a dozen or so cars then I would keep them. You would probably get around $1 a piece at best. I guess if you sold it all as a "train set" you may get a little more. Older cars make great sacrificial subjects for trying out new techniques like painting or weathering. Either that or just give it away. Besides, if you're a model railroader then you HAVE to store random stuff forever just in case you need it some day!:D

A little detailing and some weathering and you could use them as out of service type stuff on an unused siding. The old track could be "rusted" and used for an abandoned line.

Steve,Another idea and one that I have used in the past few months.

Attend a train show and talk to some of the dealers that specializes in old Tyco,AHM and other brands if old train set cars and locomotives and see if he will buy your stuff.If he has something you like then maybe a trade can be arranged.

As a side note observation.I have notice to many modelers are ready to write off any value in old train set cars and locomotives or fail to realize there is a market for such items.

Remember this..Even if you get $15-20.00 for your items it sure enough beats cluttering your hobby space with unwanted items.

Another use for an old box car of that type is remove the trucks and couplers, weather it and stick it off someplace to be a storage shed. Old train set tank cars done the same way can be fuel or waste oil storage units. Cut one end off and cut again right behind the dome to remove almost 1/2 its length and glue the end back on next to the dome and you have an unusual storage tank. Don't worry about hacking the road names or reporting marks. Just paint them some non descript grubby color and add a flammable placard or two. A lot you can do with some of those pieces once you let your imagination run free.

I think I would prefer to use the oldest stuff as rails on flatcars and such. Much of it is non-functional either because I neglected to care for it when I was younger or it's missing connectors. The track I use currently is only a year old, and it builds a good-size oval or whatever shape, plus I have four switches (however I've tried using their electrical controls and have never gotten them to work remotely.)

Trust me, being a Warhammer player I know the thought process of "This might be handy someday."

Three of the tyco cars I have are pretty much beyond running, and I already have plans for them in the future (there's that concept again..)

Really the main reason for getting away from the PowerLoc at all is that I want a larger curve radius for bigger stock, and PowerLoc only has 18" curves.

What I really need help with is the shipping. I've never sold items over the internet(s) and wouldn't know how to go about figuring how to package the stuff without being charged to death.

Wrap each item in newspaper, paper towels, whatever you can get the cheapest and pack in a box big enough to hold them and some padding above and below. Make sure the box has no postal markings like 'Priority', 'Overnight', etc or the post office will have you pay to send it that way. Believe me, I know. I usually ask for the slowest method possible. It's a little cheaper and the package will take a few more days getting there.

Check your PM's. I sent you a message.

Hey about 3 years ago, I sold what I considered my 'junk stuff' on Ebay. There was maybe about 20 pieces of rolling stock (mostly Tyco and old Bachmann HO) and a couple half working tyco assessories. I kept a few select pieces that werent to me absolute garbage and had some sentimental value.

Anywho, I got a whopping $60. The alternative was to put it at the curb or donate it. In hindsight, I wish I had donated it to Salvation Army,etc, taken a tax writeoff and made some kid happy.

I like getting Tyco rolling stock. I rebuild it and use it, detail it as I can. It's the stuff I used when I was a kid and I like having it around. Any time I can get hold of some I try getting it.

Back