Operation: Car cards vs Switch Lists & RailPro(?)

My own layout, and the club layout I operate on (especially the club layout) has a not-insignificant amount of "bridge traffic" due to the geography of the line that runs between one staging or connection point and another without serving actual on-layout industries.

See but that's just traffic not unlike the "run and watch" guys on our mainlines

I disagree with your characterization here. I'm still talking more on an individual car level here.

On my own railroad, there's really only the one train in each direction on the north half. This pair of trains handles all the local traffic as well as through cars running from one end to the other.

On the club layout, which is a much larger operation, there are some trains of all through cars yes, but also some through trains that drop off local cars (or through cars for other routes) at the yard for other connections as well as local trains running in various directions. The goal of this club is explicitly realistic operations and this is all a tightly integrated operation.

I disagree with your characterization here. I'm still talking more on an individual car level here.
I misunderstood then. I thought you were talking about general layout traffic as how it relates to what you may be focused on.

Looking like car cards are the way to go for me. I just hope I can find some internet guides on making them.

I did forget something that factors into any desire I have to operate. I don't yet have a key to the layout room. I think I will get one sometime in February. Once I have that I can go to the club layout any night I want (or stay late on weekends) and futz with my trains there.
That may be your only current option. Of course, if 1 or two others who also have keys, wish to also operate on the same time as you, then problems might still eventuate. Once you have the key privilege, maybe you should seek out those that would like to do "operations" and arrange to meet at a time/date, not otherwise "programmed in".

Micro Mart in NJ sells a line of car cars, waybills, station boxes, etc, which you can purchase, and fill in yourself, based on your layout's design.

I use the Micro-Mark Car Cards, Way Bills, Bad Order and Locomotive Cards and like how they work. The Way Bills are a heavier paper which I like. I built my own Car Card Boxes as I like making things like this. For my use the Micro-Mark products work just fine.

I'm sort in the middle of the road sort of guy. I enjoy watching model trains run around their layouts as well as switching cars about. I would like to join a club to be able to run longer trains and ore unit trains where I'm limited on my layout at the present.

I've though of doing some sort of card system for switching on my layout, but haven't found one that's simple enough.

Steve: Nice picture of your club layout.

Thanks.

Greg

A. What generates each waybill/car assignment?
Are you asking about how you put the destinations on the waybills or how you choose which waybill is matched with a car?

The waybill shipments are matched based on the industries on the layout and what they ship or receive.
What I've done is make up a table where I list all my industries, then all the commodities those industries receive then all the commodities those industries ship. I then add what car types those use. I then match up sources for the commodities received and destinations for the commodities shipped.
I have a steel mill. It received ore, and coal in hoppers, scrap and pig iron in gons, and ships boiler plate and "boat plate" in flats and gons.
Where would the iron or come from? Probably the ore docks along the great lakes. Where would the coal come from? Mines in central Pennsylvania. Where would boiler plate be shipped to? Industrial cities along the east coast. Where would boat plate be shipped to? Shipyards along the east coast. You can make up companies for origins and destinations, use other industries on the layout or do research on where they actually were. I model the Reading so I have lists of hundreds of coal mines along the Reading. I know were many of the shipyards were and I have a shipyard on my layout.
I have a waybill for shipment of coal from RC&I in Locust Summit, PA to the steel mill. I have waybills for boat plate from the steel mill to H&H in Wilmington, DE (the shipyard on my layout) and to the Philadelphia Navy Yard, the Brooklyn Navy Yard and Sun Shipbuilding in Chester, PA. If I don't know an industry I might use "Acme", since from the Roadrunner cartoons, Acme was the Amazon of the 1960's, selling just about everything.

Once I get the waybills set up and I have multiple waybills for different car types and multiple waybills for each origin and destination, I assign a waybills by basically picking one that is appropriate and then using that one for the shipment. After its completed I swap it out for a new one.

B. How do you ensure you aren't mixing things up and prevent your boxcars from somehow taking coal loads or your hoppers from taking pulpwood?
Because I was taught to read? You are creating the waybills. If YOU write a waybill that puts pulpwood in a hopper, that's YOUR fault. You are selecting the shipments for each car. IF YOU pick a waybill that puts pulpwood in a hopper, that's YOUR fault. Each car card has a car type on it. Each waybill has a car type on it. Its a Garanimals thing. If the waybill says its for ca type "LP" (pulpwood flat) and your car card says its a car type "HM" (twin hopper) they don't match. A waybill with a car type LP goes with a car card with a type LP.

Both switch lists and car cards have the "paperwork" track the cars, if the paperwork and the cars get mixed up its can cause things to get mixed up.

There are other systems I have used on modular layouts and clubs that are less car specific. You can develop a list of industries by station and then the car types each industry uses (a spreadsheet program like MS Excel works great for this).
Option 1. You mark the list for the number of cars for that industry. In the yard, you switch up that number of cars of the types listed for each industry (switcher's choice). If an industry uses boxcars and hoppers and gets 2 cars, the switcher can dig out a boxcar and a hopper or two boxcars or two hoppers. The local crew run the train and then at each industry spots appropriate cars and picks up the same number of cars.
Option 2. You mark the list for the number of cars of each type you want to spot at that industry and how many cars you want to pick up at that industry. The switcher switches out that number of each car type and builds a train. The local runs and spots those car types and picks up the number of cars indicated on the list.
Another option is tag on car. You make coded tags (colors, letters, numbers, symbols, etc) for each industry. You put tags on each car you want spotted and a "pull" tag on each car you want picked up at industry. The switcher switches out the tagged cars and builds a train, the local spots the cars according to the tags. Very simple, but many people don't like it because the tags on top of the cars distract from the "look" of the train. When the session is over you collect all the tags off the cars. Next session you put them back on whatever cars are available.
All of the above systems are switching by car TYPE or number of cars. It really doesn't car which boxcar, just that a boxcar is spotted. So that system doesn't care what cars are where, if something gets moved between op sessions, it really doesn't matter, and all you have to worry about is switching just the areas you want to switch, it doesn't require tracking every car on the whole railroad.

Looking like car cards are the way to go for me. I just hope I can find some internet guides on making them.

You can make them yourself with a spreadsheet program (or an MS Access data base) or you can buy them from Micro Mark. There are also other commercial software packages that produce car cards and waybills. 67 lb cardstock will pass through most printers (that what I use). The heavy duty 110 lb cardstock requires a printer that has a straight pass through.

A common size is about 2" wide and about 3 5/8" tall. The card is cut to be 2" wide and 5" tall and then the bottom 1 3/8" is folded up to form a pocket to held the waybill. You can make them bigger, but the 2x5 size means you can fit 8 car cards on a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper (4 cards wide and 2 cards high). Then the waybills are about 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 wide (to fit in the 2" wide pocket) and about 2 5/8" high (so about half the waybill sticks out the top of the pocket.) You can fit about 12 of those sized waybills on a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper.

Car Cards or Waybills made from typing paper are too thin. The Micro-Mark Car Cards are made from file folder type material and the Waybills used to be paper; but, they have changed to a thicker material which is the way to go. The Micro-Mark Car car Routing System Starter Pack is $32.95, which is a bit high; but, you get all you need to get started. <https://www.micromark.com/CAR-ROUTING-SYSTEM>

You can make them yourself with a spreadsheet program (or an MS Access data base) or you can buy them from Micro Mark. There are also other commercial software packages that produce car cards and waybills. 67 lb cardstock will pass through most printers (that what I use). The heavy duty 110 lb cardstock requires a printer that has a straight pass through.

A common size is about 2" wide and about 3 5/8" tall. The card is cut to be 2" wide and 5" tall and then the bottom 1 3/8" is folded up to form a pocket to held the waybill. You can make them bigger, but the 2x5 size means you can fit 8 car cards on a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper (4 cards wide and 2 cards high). Then the waybills are about 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 wide (to fit in the 2" wide pocket) and about 2 5/8" high (so about half the waybill sticks out the top of the pocket.) You can fit about 12 of those sized waybills on a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper.

Dave - Believe it or not, I'm still using your old program to print my car cards and waybills! I think that I got it in 2007 sometime!

Car Cards or Waybills made from typing paper are too thin. The Micro-Mark Car Cards are made from file folder type material and the Waybills used to be paper; but, they have changed to a thicker material which is the way to go. The Micro-Mark Car car Routing System Starter Pack is $32.95, which is a bit high; but, you get all you need to get started. <https://www.micromark.com/CAR-ROUTING-SYSTEM>

That's exactly what I was thinking. I want to be inexpensive about this but I want this stuff to be durable enough for railroading after all. I was actually going back to my Wargaming days in the 'nerd stores' I frequented and looking at card game sleeves. They're plastic pockets for going on your trading game cards.

Maybe it'd be easier to just get the Micro-Mark cards and bills, but I still need a way to store, keep and organize them. Could you give me some specifics on the dimensions of these car cards?

Maybe it'd be easier to just get the Micro-Mark cards and bills, but I still need a way to store, keep and organize them. Could you give me some specifics on the dimensions of these car cards?

67 lb paper/cardstock is fine, I've been using them for years and it will go through the vast majority of printers.

Repeating from my previous post:

If you look on the MicroMark website, they give the size of a car card as 2 1/8 x 4" (folded). You can create your own to that size using Excel or another spreadsheet program.

You can get laser cut carcard pockets and sorting stuff from MicroMark or Precision Design Co. (http://www.pdc.ca/rr/catalog/product/standard-size-car-card-boxes/47). I make my own using 1/8 " hardboard.

You can sort car cards by track (one pocket per track) or each station can have 3 pockets (spot, hold, pick up).

I sort my sort waybills station and industry, based on the industry that's destination for move 1. I generally use 2 move waybills.

Last edited:

Back