Operating a 4x8 layout - Loads-In/Loads-Out

Hi harold, nice track plan. Just one little question to confirm the operation. I take it the rock crusher and the spur are located around the center of the layout. Am I right or wrong?
Cheers Willis

Yes the rock crusher will be on the other side of the scenic divider. The operation concerns the track running across the middle of the layout.
Harold

Ah! I thought it might be that, as it looked likely. There was one shot where the switching looked like it was close to the end of the scenic divider so I thought I would check to be sure. It's going to be a nifty layout when its finished, keep us posted on the progress.
Cheers Willis

Hi hminky,
Great layout plan along with some good scenery! Switching all those cars every where sounds like a pain, is it?
Keep up the good work,
Chris Moore

Switching all those cars every where sounds like a pain

That is why I am building a layout. I like to operate. A layout should be more than a diorama with a moving train. It should be a railroad. Running trains is the fun part about trains. Contrary to the current thinking, the railroad doesn't need an acre of staging and a huge layout for operation. There seems to be a "larger is better" mentality in operation :eek: .

Just my thought
Harold :D

I guess you're right operating a railroad is very fun. I think I'd rather do some fun stuff on the layout instead of just having a moving train around the layout (but that could be fun watching it going around a layout you built). Thats why I love trains!
Thanks,
Chris Moore

P.S. It is fun pretending it's a real railroad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roundy-rounds do get old after awhile. I've discovered that! It's a lot more fun to have a purpose, even on a 4x8.

I used to run a 'local' operation. Easy way to kill 60-90min an evening. 4-5 industries, 9-10 cars to switch. Run laps to go from "A" to "B" and back. Sure, you have to suspend some beliefs (roundy-round), but once you get back to "A", you've accomplished something and the time flies.

Other folks like building scenery; me, I like running trains, so that part of the empire goes a-wanting....

Kennedy

Back