Old Water Tank along the old Soo Line; or, Great Northern in Bagley, MN

N

NP2626

I have driven past this old tank for many years. It is in Bagley Minnesota, where the corporate headquarters are located for the last company I worked for. Every time I've driven by it, I am surprised that it is still standing and think I should get some photos of it. This is along the old Soo Line; or, the Great Northern tracks. It is the Canadian National that owns the tracks now. The Tank is missing its' Water Column; or Stand Pipe; or spout, as that was removed at some point. What was once an icon of the steam era and plentiful along the tracks is now a rarity. In fact this is one of the two water tanks that I know of here in Minnesota. The other is in the town of Carver, MN and is a wood tank. Although I was born in 1950, my recollection of steam on the railroads, is scant at best. I don't recall ever seeing a steel tank anywhere and would guess the tank in Bagley is one of, if not the last steel Railroad Water Tanks anywhere. The town's Pigeons sure like this tank!! They are roosting along a ladder's hand rail on the top of the tank. The structure enclosing the pipes going up to the tank in the middle is a wood structure with slats going up vertically. and held in place with steel straps, similar to how wood tanks where built. The tank was black and at one time may have been white in color and is well coated with rust. A book I have shows the Great Northern going through Bagley; however, looking at Google Earth shows the tracks heading from Bemidji, through to Crookston and they would have been the Soo Line's; so, original ownership of the tracks where the tank is, is unclear; but is CN now.

HPIM7935 (Small).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark, you should get more pic of that after the snow melts!

The overcast type cloud cover does not do the tank justice.
Here is one in Frisco territory - Bristow, OK. I think there is another somewhere?
Water was supplied through a column beside the track.

water tower01.jpg

Mark, you should get more pic of that after the snow melts!

The overcast type cloud cover does not do the tank justice.
Here is one in Frisco territory - Bristow, OK. I think there is another somewhere?
Water was supplied through a column beside the track.

View attachment 65768

I Will take more photos later.

Back