Old track information

kylewoody

Hey guys,

Just wondering - how do you go about finding out how the tracks were laid years back? I'm wondering about Atmore, Alabama in between 1950-1980.

Can I email a city or county office or something? Kind of far for me to drive...

Thanks!
Kyle

City or county wouldn't know/care. I'd contact the CSX, or better yet the L&N's historical society, since that track belonged to L&N, during that time period 1950 to merger in the 70's.

Kyle,

The line through Atmore is an ex-Frisco line last controlled by BNSF. I have riden the line on motor car from Atmore to Cantonment, FL. The line continues to Pensacola. The line was out of service, but that was 10+ years ago. There was talk of reopening the line. The line runs north to Frisco City, Demopolis, Aliceville, and then to Columbus, MS.

Glenn

You can also check topographic maps that are available on-line. Some are old enough to show lines that were there when the map was made, sometimes as early as 1955. In other cases, the maps will usually show the abandoned grade. In addition to the information given you by Glenn and CJ, sometimes the best thing you can do is contact the chamber of commerce in the town of interest. Especially in Alabama, there's a good chance someone working there has been around long enough to give you a pretty good railroad history of the town.

Okay, I'm back with my resource material. According to my 1928 Railroad Atlas. Atmore is served by 2 railroads, the L&N (now CSX) running east-west and the Frisco (now BNSF) running north-south.

For track layouts try the respective historical societies. Also look for old topographical maps. If you can get to the Atmore library, ask if they have any Sanborn maps. The Sanborn maps would show track layouts plus the layouts of the industries served and possible industry names. Can't remember for sure about the names it has been a long time since I look at some Sanborn maps.

Cool, thanks guys! I use to railfan there a lot, but noticed a couple spots where old track used to lay (now covered by asphalt) - as well, I've seen pictures of an old passing lane which no longer exist as well...

Hey Glenn - Alabama Gulf Coast RR now owns the old Frisco line (which used to be BN afterwards) - they operate occasionaly on it, though not much. I've snagged a couple pics before up there of the AGR running on it.

Kyle

Okay, I'm back with my resource material. According to my 1928 Railroad Atlas. Atmore is served by 2 railroads, the L&N (now CSX) running east-west and the Frisco (now BNSF) running north-south.

For track layouts try the respective historical societies. Also look for old topographical maps. If you can get to the Atmore library, ask if they have any Sanborn maps. The Sanborn maps would show track layouts plus the layouts of the industries served and possible industry names. Can't remember for sure about the names it has been a long time since I look at some Sanborn maps.

Glenn;

Nice to see you back on-line.:D The wife and I was down there in Mobile Sat to visit her mother. Started to call but didn't know if you'd be home.

Back