Old time Log Loading and Logging

logandsawman

Here is a video showing one type of log jammer used in the Cloquet Valley of Minnesota beginning in the 1920's, modeled on my HO scale layout. Also, a couple stages of processing the log and getting it to the mill.

White pine is the predominate tree harvested around this time period. Every effort has been made to get details correct.

[video=youtube;fUEBfwVo3kw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUEBfwVo3kw[/video]

Chet, JWB, thanks for commenting.

I built the jammer using a 45' flat car and steam engine from a Woodland Scenics kit (was part of a fanning mill I think). I put a wood deck on the flat car and made the sides with some scale lumber and toothpicks for posts. The little shed is just some scale 6 x 6's and scale boards and scratch built.

I made the spools (drums) for the winch from a couple expansion pins and one drum is stationary and the other turns with the crank. The boom is carved from a couple pieces of soft wood and I made the top pully from a pully casting made by a detail company. I used stick pins for pivots and center pins and just forced them into the soft wood using a pliers.

I think the man running the winch came from a model power worker kit, and he was doing something else but he looked like a winch operator. The guy with the pickaroon (blue jacket) is by Prieser and came with some other loggers, the guys on the crosscut saw; and the two guys with the cant hooks and the guy unhooking and hooking up the tongs came in a packet of "dock workers" made by prieser. The cant hooks are made by Keystone locomotive works and I ordered them from valleymodel out of New York, I had a hard time finding the cant hooks but I have seen them by other mfgs as well.

I think that is everything but if you need more info just ask!!!

Thanks, Hawkes; it is something I have always wanted to do, have action moving figures.

I am thinking about doing one around a passenger platform by the Grizzly Flats station or maybe with the gravel operation.

Back