Old Rivarossi motor and DCC

grovepeople

I have an Rivarossi "Blue Goose", i'm not sure about the year. I've been doing research about Dcc affected on older models. The only problem I for see is the motor draws higher amps than new motors, but that would be as simple as get a high amp chip. Is there any other consideration that need to be taken into place before wiring up.

I converted a late 70's/early 80's Rivarosssi to DCC with the stock motor. It runs pretty good. It is a POWER HOG, though. I have a low wattage system (currently) and if I have my loco with sound running, the sound will cut in and out of the loco will cut in a out if the two pass into the same power block.

So, will it work? Yes. Will it bennefit from a motor swap? Also yes.

A motor swap is in the plans for my Rivarosssi when I finally convert it to sound.

I have an Rivarossi "Blue Goose", i'm not sure about the year. I've been doing research about Dcc affected on older models. The only problem I for see is the motor draws higher amps than new motors, but that would be as simple as get a high amp chip. Is there any other consideration that need to be taken into place before wiring up.
Remember 1/2 the track power is picked up from one side of the locomotive wheels and is put directly onto the frame. Make certain the "wire" from the frame to the motor brush is removed.

It appears that each bogie for the tender is contact for each rail. The tender was fitted for sound at one point i'm guess, so storage isn't the issue.

I guess with the motor swap is what to get for the motor. I take it there's no direct motor swap kit, anything would have to be a custom build.

Back