Old Growth Eastern White Pine for Logging/Scenery

logandsawman

Easy technique for some trees found in our area. Not your typical conifer, but will add pizzaz and authenticity to your Lakes States or Northeastern early logging operations. Most of these are gone today, but were more common especially before 1940.

[video=youtube;y_kUowZN5EA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_kUowZN5EA[/video]

Have fun, and Thanks for Watching!!! lasm

Logandsawman:

Enjoyed your video on old growth white pine trees. We have a property in Mt. Morris, Wisconsin, near the Rattle Snake Creek, that had "Old Growth" white pines that were estimated to be 250 years old. Most of the trees were destroyed during a tornado a little over three years ago. Several remain, but are much smaller than the giants that ruled before the storm.

Nice video.

Greg

Here is an update to my methods for making these white pine trees, also new pictures. I have about 25 on the layout and have refined the process some:

1) First I texture my dowel with a small saw blace to get some texture. I scrape the blade along the wood. For natural twigs, I just crack off the loose bark and if the twig has dried some it is allready naturally textured.

2) Next I drill the holes and insert the twigs, glueing them in with ca clue

3) Third I paint the "bole" with black and gray paint. I put a drop of each in the bottom of a small container (pill bottle cap) and add an equal part of water. I try to get it spread out a little on the tree so it is not pure black or pure gray but a bit streaked.

4) I still use hobby tac to adhere the scouring pad branch clusters

5) dots can be applied using "granite gray" and a paint brush that is not saturated to get the lichen effect.

water, white pines 004.jpg

water, white pines 005.jpg

water, white pines 007.jpg

water, white pines 001.jpg

Back