O Scale 2-Rail vs 3-Rail Wheel Differences

Brakeman Hal

Hello,

I'm ordering an MTH O-Scale GP-30 diesel loco, which I'll be converting from 3-rail to run on my 2-rail layout.

I'll remove the pickup rollers for the center rail and move the switch under the loco from 3-rail to 2-rail.

Will the wheels have to be changed to look more prototypical for 2-rail use?

Thanks,
Brakeman Hal

Is the loco built so as to be able to do that? The wheels have to be insulated from each other?

I don't think so, which is the reason for the switch.

In 3-rail position, the outer wheels are shorted together. In 2-rail position, they are isolated by either an axle gap or an insulating hub on one wheel. When I receive my loco on May 6, I'll have the answer and let you know!

Brakeman Hal

Just looking at a few pics on Google Images, I noticed that the 3 rail versions state that they have 'Hi Rail' wheels, where the specifically 2 rail, don't mention that. It may mean the wheel flanges are deeper on the 3 rail types. As diesels have solid disc wheels, with maybe just a variation in the depth of dishing in the face, I can't see that there would be much visual differences, apart from the aforementioned possible size of the flanges. Most of the wheel disc is hidden from view behind the truck/s outer frame anyway.

This is all it says on MTH's listing of the GP30. "Proto-Scale 3-2 3-Rail/2-Rail Conversion Capable". What exactly that fully entails, I guess, might be explained in the paperwork that comes with it.

Hey Toot,

In all the Internet ads I've seen on 2-rail vs 3-rail versions of locos, the 3-Railers are called "High Rail" and the 2-Railers are called "Scale Wheel".

Yes, I'll know in a few days exactly what "converting 3-rail to 2 rail" means when my Loco arrives!

Thanks for your interest and reply!
Brakeman Hal

Last edited:

Back