O Scale 2-Rail Cleaning Car

Brakeman Hal

Hey Hoggers,

I'd like to buy an O-Scale, 2-Rail Cleaning Car for my 127-foot track length, or couple on an unused car with a cleaning pad rigged on the undercarriage.

Any ideas? Also, what's a good solvent for the purpose?

Thanks,
Brakeman Hal

Good Afternoon Hal. I do not know enough about the difference in track geometry between two and three rail O scale to offer help. I do know that three rail cars may not have isolated wheels/axles, but if that is the only real difference in freight cars, why couldn't you change out the wheelsets of a three rail car and use it on a two rail layout? Or am I being too simplistic? What are the alternatives? I have seen pictures of your pike, and I would think that a piece of an old tee shirt wrapped around an appropriate block of wood and soaked in Isopropyl Alcohol, powered by hand should do the trick. You really don't have too many switches to get snagged on and coming in from the frog end should reduce issues.

HEY WILLIE,

The 2-rail O-Scale track has 2 rails that are electrically isolated so they can be energized by a DC source...+ for one rail and-for the other.

I have no 3-rail items, because 3-rails are not prototypical, which is why I chose the realistic 2-rail system.

My 127 feet of track is continuous, with no turnouts, but many lengths of track can't be reached except by a cleaning car or a long pole!

Thanks for the tips!

Hal

Hal, I like my HO scale Centerline cleaner and its available in O as well. Trucks may need to be swapped out.
i know CMX has an O scale cleaner too, but again may need a truck swap.
i also have a car with a masonite pad that works well and could easily be made in a larger scale.

RICO,

What's all this about swapping out trucks? I plan to build an O-Scale 2-Rail track-cleaning SLED!

I'll use a spare foot-long boxcar, remove the leading truck and tie an absorbent pad in its place, saturate it with Isopropyl Alcohol, and couple it to the tail end of my Caboose. As it runs the 127 feet of my Folded Dogbone, the trailing truck will keep it centered on the 2 rails!

Centerline Cleaner in O-Scale? I'll have to check it out first.....

Brakeman Hal

HEY RICO AGAIN:

Today I ordered a Centerline track cleaning car from Factory Direct Trains. I'm getting the O-Gauge model, which is for Lionel O-Gauge 3-rail, even though I have O SCALE 2-Rail.

Clear at the Junction...
Brakeman Hal

Back