NY rails now back in the heyday

NYC_George

I thought about this on the ride home tonight. The photo of the bridge and the track that The Grande Man took the other day seemed to be in need of repair. I guess the bridge is safe, but it just has that look. I follow a lot of Metro North's Harlem line home and noticed all the track was perfect, almost brand new I guess 155 pound rail. Every bridge was either redone or replaced. Every station had a new or brand new concrete platform. Even the Application Trail stop has a new platform. How many people get off at that stop a year to walk the 800 mile trail. There has to be 30 stations from Grand Central to Wassic, NY all new. In 1983 the state took over all passenger trains except for Amtrak . I'm not sure what goes on up in Buffalo where Paul lives, but here the state has invested million of dollars into the railroads. You know like they where back in their heyday.

NYC_George

Sure wish Kansas would do something like that .But who wants to walk 800 miles through wheat fields!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The trackage out this way is kept up pretty good George . There suppose to build a new station in Niagara Falls where Amtrak terminates . I will try to post some pics. at a later date !!

1,375 mistake

John I guess I was off by 1,375 miles. The Pawling station is MP 63.7. The Appalachian Trail stop MP 65.9. I would think that if your going to walk 2,175 miles you would get off at Pawling and hike the 2.2 miles to the trail crossing. As for the spelling. Spell-check found nothing wrong with Application so I used it. Everyone on this forum knows I can't spell even with spell-check.
I'll be waiting for the photo Paul. Is that Amtrak that's building the station or the state of New York?

NYC_George

Back