nw caboose 555584

trainfan2

I wish to model this very caboose, sealed windows and all. Where is a good place to start. Who makes a good base kit?

Atlas makes an HO scale kit of the same caboose. If you can only find the wide vision version, Moloco offers a narrow cupola conversion kit (which is what I used on mine).

Atlas has a nice one, with the narrow cupola too, however I think the windows will be wrong, otherwise the Athearn is awesome (thats what I'm using for ATSF & BN Cabeese), and as Ryan said, Moloco has the conversion cupola.

That is, or rather was, an N&W C31P caboose. Number series was originally 518500 to 518699. I think it was the largest class of caboose on the N&W and one of the newest classes, so there are more survivors out there. NS apparently renumbered the ones they kept into the 555 series.

The Atlas caboose is very close except for the cupola windows and the small window on the opposite side - N&W's car has 3 large windows on the right side (assuming cupola offset is to the rear) and the large-small-large pattern on the left side. The Atlas model has the side cupola windows paired in the center, Moloco makes a correct cupola with the windows on the outboard edge.

Here is one of my kitbashed C31Ps in NW paint - this is the original Atlas paint, I only repainted it where I modified it:

nw518599-06.jpg

Showing the larger center window on the right side:
nw518599-02.jpg

And the original Atlas cupola for comparison (on a blue one):
nw518538-10.jpg

and modified:
nw518538-03.jpg

Andy

What style coupler is that on the N&W?

If you are talking about the 518595 - that is a Kadee 58, the first version of it which had a gap in the knuckle. Apparently they felt this was necessary to maintain compatibility with the #5 but it was rather unsightly. It was around for a short time, then they redesigned the 58 without this gap, it looks much better but I still have some rolling stock with the old version. I guess it has been about 4 years ago that they upgraded it.

Andy

new pic

took this yesterday at the ns oakwoodyards
2608641927_d878cce2ff.jpg

el3637 I love the cabooses. how did you make the oil tank? can someone tell me what is the easyway to post pictures and have them actualy show up...

took this yesterday at the ns oakwoodyards
2608641927_d878cce2ff.jpg

el3637 I love the cabooses. how did you make the oil tank? can someone tell me what is the easyway to post pictures and have them actualy show up...

The white propane tank appears on the P (pool) versions of the caboose. As far as I know, any C31 that got repainted to the red NW scheme were also equipped with propane tanks and other stuff that made them acceptable for pool service.

My propane tank is nothing but a chunk of Plastruct tube. Probably 1/4", not sure without measuring it directly. It's a very close match for the diameter of the tank on a brass OMI C31P that I have. The plastruct is a very thick tube, with maybe a 1/8" hole down the middle. I just plugged the hole with styrene and then put Zap-A-Gap thick CA over it, let it dry, repeated until I had built up a dome of material, then sanded it, added more, etc until I got the shape of a propane tank.

Oh yeah, one other thing that needs to me modified on the Atlas caboose: the smoke jack gets moved to the other side. Which is easy except for plugging the leftover holes on a painted model.

Andy

Andy, nice looking kitbash job on that caboose. I had to kitbash a lot of UP center cupola cabooses before they finally came out with an accurate model in plastic so I know how difficult it is to modify cupolas and have them come out looking right. As for plugging the holes, I use plastic sprue leftovers. Carve them to size, stick them in the holes, and then cut them off neatly flush with the outside wall. If you do it right, you don't even need putty. Just a dab of paint and you'll never know there was a hole.

Back