Now that Floquil is gone ...

Most of us have gotten over the demise of Floquil by now unless you still have a few unopened bottles that still work. I recently discovered that Tamiya rattle can Fine Surface Primer Oxide Red makes an excellent boxcar/freight car red. Bonus is that you don't have to clean up the airbrush after using and the primer and final color are done in one coat.

This is an experiment with a Tichy USRA box car kit to see if I could drill all those wire grabs and added Grandt Line NBW castings. It looks better after another coat of the Oxide Red. I cleaned out my LHS supply (3 packages) of the Grandt Line NBW's.
2nd AAR Box car 2018-04-26 px6.jpg

Last edited:
I remember reading something a while back about using specific paints on BRASS locomotives. I forgot to mention that part before. It also mentioned baking the base coat at 250F for 30 minutes if I remember correctly. Just have to do that while the wife isn't home. Otherwise, I'm sure it'll cost you a new oven....

I remember reading something a while back about using specific paints on BRASS locomotives. I forgot to mention that part before. It also mentioned baking the base coat at 250F for 30 minutes if I remember correctly.....

With modern paints, that process is no longer necessary. The brass is cleaned (a prep step for all models, regardless of material) then primed with a "self etching primer". No baking necessary. Then apply a finish coat of whatever type of paint you prefer, including water based acrylics.

Back