North Metro MRRC

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

DakotaLove39

Always Improvising
Here we go, a few more scenes from this past weekend. I had to let my DMIR 2-10-2 roam a bit more.
508.jpg

Here she is heading into Duluth from the Hinckley sub.
IMG_20190427_214430131_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

And since our club ore cars are undergoing cleaning and maintenance I took a few out for a spin to check the work.
5084.jpg

MILW MP15's out for a run into the quarry. I don't believe this track is real, but the lower one is definitely the BNSF line through Sandstone, MN.
MP151.jpg

After some switching in the quarry, my MP15's then picked up a few cars I had in a display case.
MP153.jpg

MP152.jpg

BNSF triplet street running out of Potlatch paper in Brainerd, MN.
BNSF1.jpg

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Steve, nice photos of your club's layout. Great scenery with all the evergreens. I have several of Milwaukee MP15 locomotives (DCC and Sound) and a SOO Line (DCC only). They are great runners and easy to work on. I added DCC to the SOO.

How large a membership has the club?

Greg

DakotaLove39

Always Improvising
Steve, nice photos of your club's layout. Great scenery with all the evergreens. I have several of Milwaukee MP15 locomotives (DCC and Sound) and a SOO Line (DCC only). They are great runners and easy to work on. I added DCC to the SOO.

How large a membership has the club?

Greg
last I heard was 46 keyed members, plus three without keys.

Also you had me do a double-take, because there's a well-known Greg in the Twin Cities area who models GN, MN&S and DMIR in HO Scale. His scenery looks like what's in your profile pic.

MP15.jpg

logandsawman

Here we go, a few more scenes from this past weekend. I had to let my DMIR 2-10-2 roam a bit more. View attachment 36375

Here she is heading into Duluth from the Hinckley sub.
View attachment 36376

And since our club ore cars are undergoing cleaning and maintenance I took a few out for a spin to check the work.
View attachment 36381

MILW MP15's out for a run into the quarry. I don't believe this track is real, but the lower one is definitely the BNSF line through Sandstone, MN.
View attachment 36377

After some switching in the quarry, my MP15's then picked up a few cars I had in a display case.
View attachment 36383
View attachment 36378

BNSF triplet street running out of Potlatch paper in Brainerd, MN.
View attachment 36380

Interesting scenes, I would say the scenery running into Duluth is probably the most realistic (it is very believable)

(not to sound like too much of an expert) ;) I have lived in 8 towns along and near the (former) NP line from St. Paul to Duluth since 1958: St. Paul, Forest Lake, Wyoming, Rock Creek, Hinckley, Sandstone, Willow River, and Cloquet.

Thanks for posting!

Dave

DakotaLove39

Always Improvising
Interesting scenes, I would say the scenery running into Duluth is probably the most realistic (it is very believable)

(not to sound like too much of an expert) ;) I have lived in 8 towns along and near the (former) NP line from St. Paul to Duluth since 1958: St. Paul, Forest Lake, Wyoming, Rock Creek, Hinckley, Sandstone, Willow River, and Cloquet.

Thanks for posting!

Dave
I agree. I've spent a lot of time around Brainerd and Sandstone, MN this past year. The areas around each on the layout look very legit, although Hinckley, Sandstone and other towns such as Askov were skipped due to space. When you actually run the layout, trains pass through known towns in a very strange order.

Minneapolis -> Coon Rapids -> Big Lake -> St. Cloud -> Rush City -> Staples -> Brainerd -> Saunders

So if you know actual Minnesota, the mainline bounces across 200 miles of state in about ten actual feet. I think there's a more prototypical way to get from Rush City to the Hinckley sub without going through Staples and Brainerd but I haven't yet learned it.

5081.jpg

Patrick

Great pictures.

There's a club in my town, but they're a bit high brow. They come from Wichita and lease space here because it is cheaper. That's really too bad because I think they could do well to keep interest and grow the hobby.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com