Noob with an Inglehook

skpsharma

Hey Everyone,
I am a resident of Canterbury, UK (soon moving to Ashford) and a current noob in this hobby. I have never had a layout, I had never even touched a model railway loco for that matter. But have been a railfan since I was a kid. I have long wanted to build my own model railway in OO and begin with a shelf layout. I have been binging YT videos of both American and British model railroaders for several months and getting a clear picture of what I need.

I visited the Faversham Model Rail Show on 9th, with absolutely no preparation but for dreamy, glossed-up eyes. I went there with no plan about what I need to discuss with experts and advanced practitioners of this great hobby, neither did I plan what I would purchase, if I did decide to.
Anyway, long story short, I came out with 4 wagons, and a Hornby GWR 0-6-0 PT 2721 '2764' as well as enough track from Steve & Dave for an Inglenook. Inglenook because I just threw the word out of my mouth whenever any exhibitor there asked me what layout I'd want to build. Photos of the plan for the future layout follow. The layout will be earnestly started after my move to Ashford this 30th. I would be very grateful to members if they can give me ideas for the scenery and other bits to make it a beautiful layout. From the tape measure it looks to be about 4'x1' plan.

Thanks for looking,
Kind regards,
Sathya.

Attachments

• GWR060PTClass2721-2764 (1 of 3).jpg
    GWR060PTClass2721-2764 (1 of 3).jpg
    745.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20230914_105210.jpg
    IMG_20230914_105210.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20230914_105319.jpg
    IMG_20230914_105319.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 51
Hey Everyone,
I am a resident of Canterbury, UK (soon moving to Ashford) and a current noob in this hobby. I have never had a layout, I had never even touched a model railway loco for that matter. But have been a railfan since I was a kid. I have long wanted to build my own model railway in OO and begin with a shelf layout. I have been binging YT videos of both American and British model railroaders for several months and getting a clear picture of what I need.

I visited the Faversham Model Rail Show on 9th, with absolutely no preparation but for dreamy, glossed-up eyes. I went there with no plan about what I need to discuss with experts and advanced practitioners of this great hobby, neither did I plan what I would purchase, if I did decide to.
Anyway, long story short, I came out with 4 wagons, and a Hornby GWR 0-6-0 PT 2721 '2764' as well as enough track from Steve & Dave for an Inglenook. Inglenook because I just threw the word out of my mouth whenever any exhibitor there asked me what layout I'd want to build. Photos of the plan for the future layout follow. The layout will be earnestly started after my move to Ashford this 30th. I would be very grateful to members if they can give me ideas for the scenery and other bits to make it a beautiful layout. From the tape measure it looks to be about 4'x1' plan.

Thanks for looking,
Kind regards,
Sathya.
Welcome from across the pond!

You will find a wealth of knowledge here about every facet of MRR. Most the the folks here are very good at answering ( and asking ) questions you may have. Ask away!

Pix are also wanted of your progress. Visit the Coffee Shop for general goings on.

Later

Welcome to the forum Sathya, great bunch of folks here with a wealth of knowledge, ask anything, there's no such thing as a dumb question, (only the one you didn't ask :D )
Nice little Saddle tank engine you have there too, what freight wagons did you get with the engine ? I also assume your using Hornby Track with this build ?

welcome to the forum Sathya, great bunch of folks here with a wealth of knowledge, ask anything, there's no such thing as a dumb question, (only the one you didn't ask :D )
Nice little Saddle tank engine you have there too, what freight wagons did you get with the engine ? I also assume your using Hornby Track with this build ?
Thanks very much :) I had no clue what I needed to buy, but ended up with 3 coal wagons and a caboose. I need 4 more for the ideal inglenook puzzle. I am using Hornby track bought from Dave. That is the only new item that I paid for, others are all used.

Welcome to the forum Sathya, great bunch of folks here with a wealth of knowledge, ask anything, there's no such thing as a dumb question, (only the one you didn't ask :D )
You have ER on the DP, I assume you're local to the UK. :) I am in Canterbury, soon moving to Ashford (Kent).

Welcome aboard! I love inglenook layouts so I look forward to your layout build! I just started a new layout that is essentially an inglenook with a runaround.

Welcome aboard! I love inglenook layouts so I look forward to your layout build! I just started a new layout that is essentially an inglenook with a runaround.
Thanks very much Guildford Railman. I am assuming you're also local to UK. I'd be very grateful if you could please share your trackplan because I too want to eventually build an L shaped layout with atleast one loopline if not a turnaround.

Thanks very much Guildford Railman. I am assuming you're also local to UK. I'd be very grateful if you could please share your trackplan because I too want to eventually build an L shaped layout with atleast one loopline if not a turnaround.
Currently I live in the US. My layout is actually not L-shaped but rather a shelf 1 ft x 6.5 ft long:)

Here’s the track plan:

IMG_5949.png

It’s nothing too fancy but I enjoy switching very much and it will work for me! I just started building it a couple weeks ago so if you’re interested, check out the thread here: https://modelrailroadforums.com/for...other-build-1-ft-x-6-5-ft-shelf-layout.36183/

You have ER on the DP, I assume you're local to the UK. :) I am in Canterbury, soon moving to Ashford (Kent).
I'm a bit further north, in Derby.

Also check out my thread, may give you some ideas you could incorporate into your build, just click on the link at the bottom of this post.

Currently I live in the US. My layout is actually not L-shaped but rather a shelf 1 ft x 6.5 ft long:)

Here’s the track plan:

View attachment 174134

It’s nothing too fancy but I enjoy switching very much and it will work for me! I just started building it a couple weeks ago so if you’re interested, check out the thread here: https://modelrailroadforums.com/for...other-build-1-ft-x-6-5-ft-shelf-layout.36183/
this track plan looks really elegant.
I'm a bit further north, in Derby.

Also check out my thread, may give you some ideas you could incorporate into your build, just click on the link at the bottom of this post.
Not that far :p Might visit for inspiration if there's also a rail show sometime. I have bookmarked your link.

Going forward with the planning, I am now looking to make this a portable layout in every sense of it. The need comes from the fact that my landlord at the new rental apartment will not permit a single shelf on any wall. Not just for trains, but for anything including books. Also given that I plan to expand my layout by making the headshunt of the inglenook connect to a curve of some sort, then extent said curve to another shunting layout, the plan will culminate in a Point A to Point B railway, on a nice L shape. Its all in my head at the moment, but I plan to use only off the shelf BnM shelves for this project.
Therefore, does anyone know anyone else who might've created something of this sort?
Regards,
Sathya.

Welcome to the group! And the madness!

I firmly applaud your getting feet wet with the shelf(ish) Inglenook. I looked long and hard at the Highland Terminal when in planning mode. Still thinking about how to incorporate it into my layout as my 'inside the loop' is not yet complete.

This is a wonderful group of hobbyists who can help with any aspect of the projects.

Cheers!

Steve J

Welcome to the group! And the madness!

I firmly applaud your getting feet wet with the shelf(ish) Inglenook. I looked long and hard at the Highland Terminal when in planning mode. Still thinking about how to incorporate it into my layout as my 'inside the loop' is not yet complete.

This is a wonderful group of hobbyists who can help with any aspect of the projects.

Cheers!

Steve J
Ha ha ha, Thank you Steve :) I am absolutely thrilled. a) By the hobby itself and b) By all the help, encouragement and advise you guys give :)
Regards,
Sathya.

I have finally begun the build of my first layout, a simple shunting yard (ish). But I cannot get power on the track parallel to the power track (marked in blue). Also, when I throw the switch for that track, there is no power on any track forward off the point. Would be grateful for some advice (Please ignore the fact that the rails aren't connected. I placed the rails together to show the track plan).

Attachments

• no power.jpg
    no power.jpg
    624.8 KB · Views: 37
Looks like you're using an insulfrog turnout, so power is routed in the direction your track rail is pointing to, the easiest way around is to add jumpers from the neighbouring track to the track you've marked in blue, so both will have power regardless of which track your turnout is facing. I would suggest you do the same to the opposing rail as well.

Back