No kit?

Aerojet

Mean while back in the car shop -- Today everything is ready to run in model railroading, but there was a time when not everything was so. Take shake the box Athearn Blue Box kits. If you wanted a car, you bought the Athearn kit, took it home and finished the assembly yourself.

Wrong couplers? Put on the right ones. Wrong trucks? Same thing. Then there was the old Walther's kits.

Here you got a complete car, but in a ton of pieces. Everything has to be shaped and formed, then glued with Goo into place, painted and then final decorations before you put on the couplers and trucks. I guess it was too much work for the average computer savvy model railroader. It had to be "plug and play" - or it would not sell.

So what do you do when you are from the old school and still build rolling stock the hard way - one piece at a time? Worse what do you do when there is no more kits or parts available?

Start getting creative.

First step is trying to determine what you want to build then start looking for something to make it out of. Some parts are just about impossible to find anymore so now what?

Ask around or dig on evil bay for something close and start working in the car shop.

First up are the metal castings on the ends of cars. These used to be made of monel or woods metal. Try to find one today. Well there is a work around. You need to find the end either from a buddy who can lend you one, or out of an old kit, or if you are like me - out of the junk box. Then start making new ends with a plastic casting kit ...

IMG_0617.JPG

Here you see the process. I got this kit from the hobby shop and went to work. First up make the rubber mold, then you mix up the resin and pour that into the mold. It will take a few days of letting things cure in between stages until you start making the parts. The finished part, well sort of, will come out of the mold in about a half hour. Let them fully harden overnight then start shaping them and making them look like the original part.

The final filing will make a very good part. Take your time. Got one? Make two - then three and so on.

For car sides and other things you need to lurk on evil bay looking for cars or parts you can cut up, cannibalize, or rework into what you want.

Trucks and couplers and other running gear has to come from your local hobby shop in the period you want. The rest is your imagination.

IMG_0619.JPG

I said in another post I said am going to make more "Oscar and Piker" type cars, because I can. Here is the start of the new fleet of "mini cars". Two cast ends, and a cut up old trolley car and I am good to go. The floor and roof came from the car kit, the ends were made from existing car ends I had laying around. Slowly but surely I am making up what I need - a fleet of little passenger cars to have fun with.

Insides come from Palace Car Company and Red Hat. The rest comes from either the local hobby shop or what I have got down here in the bunker in the junk boxes I have saved over the years.

IF you are not making up cars like this, the method can be used to make any car you would like to. What have you seen which is not made by the current model making ready to run people? Want something special? Make your own!

Just showing how an old timer makes what is wanted.

IF you need any of these parts I can make some up. Let me know. Once you have the mold made you can make tons of the parts like you see here. Evil bay is the place for junk to be made into something else, or your local hobby shop $5.00 bin.

Your thoughts?

The Aerojet

Nicely done! Making parts from molds and castings is common in the RC plane hobby, because like in model railroading kits are becoming a thing of the past. The current generation wants plug & play, with the least amount of work possible. I understand that there are those who don't have the time or resources to build from kits, and I'm not knocking those folks. It's just sad to see fewer and fewer who really enjoy making things with their own hands.
You have done a very nice job on your parts!

It was a dark and brooding afternoon when the shop men finished the rough assembly of the car .....
IMG_0622.JPG

This is the actual car, as the guys finished making the parts and fitting everything up. Minor defects will be covered by paint or body filler. The truck is only for appearances and is not yet attached. Obviously everything is held in place by that one rubber band, so don't expect finished perfection at this stage of the project.

For you, this is where you buy the kit and start building the model. A lot of work need to be done now, but at least all the parts were pulled from the stock piles, machined, both on the milling machine and with a Dremel, and all parts fitted up into place as they were finished. A final file touch up and it looks good!

If you want I can also post out the rest of the car being built, or not. This post was to show how one can take a bunch of stuff, like old car parts, a plastic molding process, and make them into a new car from "scratch" as it was. No kit required.

Just your imagination and workman like skill.

The Aerojet

Aerojet, I still build kits, I buy them at train shows; or, off Ebay and Accurail still produces kits which are probably my staple. I have over 150 freight cars on my layout all but a very few are built from kits and those that I have that where RTR have had their trucks and couplers replaced and if I can take them apart without destroying, I do, to add details, weather; or, just make better! I am saddened by the fact that the manufacturers do not produce kits anymore. However, the reality is I don't buy RTR and so am not supporting these manufacturers by buying their $35.00 to $70.00 RTR cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
This hobby. or any other is controlled by two things, or budgets if you will. Time and money. if you're a retired guy on a fixed income and have a small hobby budget you can have a blast with old blue box kits and the like. If you're a younger professional who maybe travels extensively you may have more disposable income and less time, so you'll buy more RTR and less kits. If you can't find kits, you aren't looking very hard. The swap meet circuit is literally awash in unbuilt blue box stuff, "grandpa's train stuff" etc. As for modern kits, that industry is alive and well, but you'll pay more than 5-15 bucks. Modern resin freight car kits are going for $40.00-60.00, and selling nicely. Structure kits are everywhere at all price ranges. People are building them. Go to any RPM meet and you'll find the dealer room full of kits and kit builders. It isn't 1965 anymore. There is no right way to do this hobby, well, yes there is: the way you enjoy it. That's all that matters.

The big difference to my mind, Espeefan is what it is I like to do. Unlike many of the people involved in this hobby, I both enjoy building and have the skills to do so. Yes, I am retired however, my love of building started way back when I was 6-7 years old. To me the hobby IS building models and building my layout. While I was working and owned my own business, I never considered ready to run, it was simply outside my realm of of what the hobby is all about, for me! I also have spent $40.00-$60.00 for wood caboose kits; but, have never built a resin kit and don't seem to have much interest in doing so, when I can buy nice plastic kits for so much cheaper! For me, there most certainly is a right way to do this hobby and I am doing so.

The above should be taken as my stating what I think the hobby is all about, as everybody else does the hobby the way they think the hobby should be done.

I’m not disputing any of that Mark. But what you posted was that you thought anyone paying $35.00-70.00 for RTR cars was on the “nutso” side of the hobby. Sounds kind of, I don’t know, preachy, condescending maybe? Not the kind of thing newcomers need to read, and I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that that probably isn’t how you meant it. It’s just how it came out. Everyone should enjoy the hobby in their own way, and we shouldn’t get off into debates about what constitutes “real modeling”.

I do think paying $35.00 to $70.00 for rolling stock is wasteful! I have stated things here many times about how I feel, that people might take issue with. That's life and I can live with the fact that people disagree with me. Nothing I have ever said has changed anybodies mind about how they are going to enjoy this hobby, anyway; so, if I can't speak my mind about how I feel, than I'm just a mamby-pamby boy without opinions.

I would prefer to move on from this; so, I'm done here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mean while back in the car shop -- Today everything is ready to run in model railroading, but there was a time when not everything was so. Take shake the box Athearn Blue Box kits. If you wanted a car, you bought the Athearn kit, took it home and finished the assembly yourself.

Wrong couplers? Put on the right ones. Wrong trucks? Same thing. Then there was the old Walther's kits.

SNIP

Just showing how an old timer makes what is wanted.

IF you need any of these parts I can make some up. Let me know. Once you have the mold made you can make tons of the parts like you see here. Evil bay is the place for junk to be made into something else, or your local hobby shop $5.00 bin.

Your thoughts?

The Aerojet

Nice work! I’ve used Alumilite before. For various parts. I also have a few of these old Walthers kits on the shelf. Do show us the finished car. It’s nice to see old school building. Oh and sorry your thread got jacked. That happens sometimes.

Here ya GO! -- it's the car in C & NW paint between the others....
IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

And here we see the train getting bigger as more cars are finished.

The Aerojet

Last edited:
Actually quite well. The Express car needed some ballast due to it was the first car on the string and had to pull the weight of the others. After that each car in heavy enough to stay on the rails with no problem. The odd angle of the coach is due to track being a bit out of even at that point. This is something which you need to watch if you are using a car which has only one truck - and - the coupler expect to stay together. These do.

Other than than this little thing moves right along. Just don't go at toy train speeds, like all cars they will fly off the track at super high speed.

The Aerojet

I hadn’t thought about this before but the truck would be fixed right? Can you show a pic when you have a moment?

Actually, it is quite easy. Figure where the truck needs to be. Space it exactly between the ends. Now drill a hole for a #2 self tapping screw. Center the bolster on the hole, then add the truck. Screw it down tightly. If needed, add some Goo to the thing to permanently fix the thing. The sleeper being longer will have swinging trucks. Watch for it next month.

The Aerojet....

Back