No Buyer's Remorse

Well I tried to get my Spectrum 4-8-2 Heavy Mountain to run, but its driving mechanisms continues to bind. Finally they refused to turn the drivers. I am sending it back to Bachmann. And no matter what I do with my other Spectrum 4-8-2, its tender continues to derail.

I keep looking at my Genesis locomotives running on my track, neither of which has nary a problem. I have an ond Athern 1500 diesel that came with a starter set that has never, ever caused a single problem!

By the time I factor in shipping costs back to Bachmann along with frustration levels that were exacerbated by the Christmas holiday, I am left to question whether it's worth "saving money" by going with attractive prices.

I am nearly certain that from now on I will buy only quality products by manufacturers with stellar reputations. I am not inferring that Bachmann falls into either category, but I have had terrible experiences with the three Spectrum locomotives that I own.

I bought a Blueline ATSF 4-8-4 that I'll receive tomorrow. My next steam locomotive will be a Paragon2 Hudson. After that I'll search for a quality 4-6-2. That should round out my steam locomotive contingent. I think I am going to sell -or donate- my three Spectrum steam locomotives!

But for Genesis, and probably BLI, I'd give up on HO and set up my old American Flyer set. I put my four AF steam locomotives on tract and they run...period! And did I write that all four of my AF steam locomotives are handsome???

Happy Railroading,

Tom

Imackattack,

I am found model railroading to be an EXPENSIVE hobby. I think I have sunk about a grand into this hobby in less than a month...and I have more to go!!! I've spent over three hundred simoleons on 2 Genesis F-7 locomotives and about another four hundred on rolling stock in the same period. And you guys want me to go with DCC??? Hell, I'm more likely to go BK that afford DCC!!! By the time I'm done, I will have been able to buy a Beretta Silver Hawk side-by-side that I've coveted for years!!! But I can only hunt quail a few months a year...

Happy Railroading,

Tom

And you guys want me to go with DCC??? Hell, I'm more likely to go BK that afford DCC!!!

Tom

Tom,,,wait untill you run a few DCC engine on a layout equipped with all the sounds, lights, ease of double heading you wont go back to DC.. lets wait a year and see what you have to say in 2010!!!:p

Sorry about your troubles with the mountain. Im happy with the details of mine but the motor is weak and not up to my standards. I dont think I will buy another bachman as I also have had 2 that both have turned into poor runners

Trent

I received my BLI ATSF 4-8-4 3751 today. There is a tremendous quality difference between Spectrum and BLI. I inspected my BLI locomotive, applied a little oil, connected the tender's wires to the pilot, put her on the tracks, and increased voltage. So far I have experienced not a single problem. I am impressed by how quiet it runs. The chuff is on the loud side, so I'll have to buy a sound control device to moderate it more to my liking.

Factory specs indicate this big locomotive requires a a minimum radius of 18" which might be too small. I'm thinking 22" or even 24" would be better.

Overall, I am very pleased with my latest purchase. I can't wait to get a Paragon2 Hudson on my tracks.

I have been considering future railroading purchases. Bachmann offers extremely attractive pricing. BLI and Paragon2 along with Genesis are considerably more expensive. However, my two newest Bachmann steam locomotives were pieces of too much work. One is now at Bachmann. When it returns I'll send the other. They're both new locomotives. As I watch my Genesis locomotives on my track and now my new BLI, I am nearly convinced that for me it is much more advantageous to spend more money for products that work as advertised. While I will have to forgo quantity, I will, hopefully, have products that work as advertised. In other words, as the sun now sets, I will buy no more Bachmann products forever!!!

After I buy a Paragon2 Hudson, I'll be on the prowl for a 4-6-2 that has the quality of my BLI 4-8-4. After that I'll hopefully be done buying steam. I never thought I'd like diesel locomotives, but I now see myself owning a few more! They're actually quite interesting to watch.

Happy Railroading,

Tom

Trent,

I think DCC, like life's other fine things, has to be experienced to be appreciated. After hearing my new BLI 4-8-4, my interest in bells and whistles has been piqued. I have a hunch you're right, that within a near you'll read my posts here expressing my elation of you model railroad professionals convincing to take the road that is more frequently traveled: DCC railroading.

Take care,

Tom

Trent,

I think DCC, like life's other fine things, has to be experienced to be appreciated. After hearing my new BLI 4-8-4, my interest in bells and whistles has been piqued. I have a hunch you're right, that within a near you'll read my posts here expressing my elation of you model railroad professionals convincing to take the road that is more frequently traveled: DCC railroading.

Take care,

Tom

Ok but I already forgot how much was the bet?;)

I received my new Blueline ATSF 4-8-4 3751 this evening. It's a big, hefty locomotive. I inspected her, applied a little oil on her driving mechanism, put her on the tracks, increased voltage, and to my delight she runs wonderfully. I have not experienced a single problem with her, unlike my three Bachmann steam locomotives. Factory specs indicate she'll operate with a minimum 18" radius, which is what my layout now has. This is too small a radius for such a big locomotive. At higher speeds she'll derail. And this locomotive can run at a much higher speed than I had anticipated! And once again, no buyer's remorse!

First my two Genesis F-7 locomotives and now my new BLI, I am nearly convinced that spending extra money for quality products is, at least for me, the way to go. In fact, I am almost certain I am done with Bachmann. Two brand new Spectrum steam locomotives: one at Bachmann and the other soon to depart for the same destination! And my third Spectrum is just as much a piece of work. But who knows, maybe I have had just bad luck with Spectrum. What I do know is that I am extremely Spectrum gun shy!

I will buy a Paragon2 Hudson as soon as this model hits market. Then I'll be on the prowl for a good-quality Pacific 4-6-2. I am praying Paragon2 or at least Blueline will offer one. That should wrap up my steam line-up. I never thought I'd write this, but I am taking a pronounced liking to diesel locomotives. I was going to buy only one more, a Genesis ATSF A/B F-7 passenger. But now I think I'll buy another. UP2CSX recommended an Atlas Dash 8 Warbonnet, and now I am certain I'll pick up one. It is a good-looking locomotive!

I am committed to a theme that will hopefully work for me: I will seek quality as opposed to quantity. I am not pretentious in any regard, nor do I have much disposable income to fund my new hobby. Rather, I am frustrated beyond belief with products that were attractively priced that have caused me more frustration that I want from a hobby that's supposed to be fun.

Happy Railroading,

Tom

Trent,

All the beer you can drink, but you'll have to come to sunny So Cal to collect. Then we can try to get a tour of the BNSF yard in San Bernardino, providing I can drag you away from the thong bikinis on South Orange County beaches. Hell, who wants to look at trains anyway??? Tracks are tracks, right???

Adios amigo,

Tom

Back