NMRA RP-2 Standards Gauge, Updated July 2019.

N

NP2626

I realize that RP stands for Recommended Practice, therefore there are no required dimensions on this Standards Gage and its' use is only a recommendation. I'm wondering if someone can tell me where to find information on the Type 1 Gage for HO; or, any scale for that matter, to which the addition to the gage of a plastic part that snaps onto the Stainless Steel TP-2 gage? Is the plastic addition to the gage a part of the gage; or, simply a protector for the gage? If your going to buy the RP-2 gage, I recommend going to the NMRA to do so, it costs $5.00 there. Micro-Mark is selling it's gage for $19.95.

After doing some research, while writing this post, I don't see anywhere where the plastic part of the gage is shown, offered with the plastic part I describe. I might have to assume that the plastic is only meant to be a protector. Does anyone have better information on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark, where did you see that plastic part of NMRA gauge and do you have a photo of the piece. If we can not answer your question, perhaps a email to the NMRA will get your an answer. I have never seen any thing attached to the NMRA gauge, but then I had mine for over 30 years and paid less than three dollars at a local hobby shop.

Greg

Here is my NMRA Mark IVc RP-2 Standards Gage. If I flip the plastic part over there is again a place to put the gage into, which reverses the cut-out and diagonal portions at the bottom of the gage. I do not remember where I purchased the gage, nor do I recall if instructions came with the gage. I am looking for instructions. Apparently, one of the July of 2019 changes was that at the top of the gauge the word "FLANGEWAYS" was replaced with the word "CHECKGAGE", why is anyone's guess! Unless someone has some better information on this plastic addition, I will simply assume it is somebodies idea of a better mousetrap!
HPIM8211.JPG

Mark: My guess is the plastic is merely a protective device to use with the gauge while not in use. With the gauge within the plastic case there's no apparent way to use the gauge without removing it from the case. I know that the gauge itself is not of the strongest metal and may bend if not careful.

The plastic case may also protect the gauge wile in transit.

Greg

Actually, the gauge is made of Stainless Steel which is pretty tough stuff! My one question about this being a simple protector for the gage is: why is the lower right hand corner open. If it were only for protection, it would provide a protective enclosure for the entire periphery of the gage.

Greg, you might be right and we may never know what the real purpose of the plastic part was/is!

Thanks Burlington Bob for this clarification! I guess the plastic addition to the gauge does have a real purpose! However, it is unclear (to me at least) which side is the measure side and which is the storage side. Is the notch at the bottom to the right; or, left?

Thanks Burlington Bob for this clarification! I guess the plastic addition to the gauge does have a real purpose! However, it is unclear (to me at least) which side is the measure side and which is the storage side. Is the notch at the bottom to the right; or, left?
The notch is used to measure the clearance for loading docks and station platforms.

Terry, Yes, understood; but, is the notch to the left; or, the right when the plastic addition to the gage is used?

The way you have it in the picture would be the storage position. If you place it on the other side, the two prongs should be below the plastic and will fit between the rails. The notches should match, but will stick out just a little. My guess would be to aid in removing it from the plastic.

Pictures showing the gauge in the plastic cover.

This one shows it ready to use for checking clearances. Notice the tips at the bottom protrude past the plastic..

IMG_1596.JPG

This shows it in the storage position. None of the tips at the bottom protrude past the plastic.

IMG_1595.JPG

Hope this clears things up.

Terry, Yes, understood; but, is the notch to the left; or, the right when the plastic addition to the gage is used?
Mark, it only goes one way in use. If you need to check platform clearances on the other side of the tracks, simply flip the entire thing around 180 degrees.

Mark, it only goes one way in use. If you need to check platform clearances on the other side of the tracks, simply flip the entire thing around 180 degrees.

Terry, I went down and took my Gage out of the drawer and looked at how it works. Before this time, I had never noticed that on the back side of the plastic Gage, the pin that the Stainless Steel part slips onto was lower down on the plastic Gage, than on the front side. Putting the Gage on this pin allows the track Gage "Go-No Go" nubs to stick out below the plastic part. This allows the Gage's use, as a clearance gage. I must have thrown the new Gage's Instructions away, that explain all this, as the ones I have, only show how to use the Stainless Steel part of the Gage! I now understand how to use both parts of the NMRA RP-2 Gage.

Looking at M.B. Klein, Micro-Mark, Walthers and the NMRA website, No information given at any of these sites discuss the plastic part! Making me think it is no longer being offered with the protective plastic addition to the Gage! By far the best price for the Gage is through the NMRA @ $5.00. However, it appears you must be a member of the NMRA to get into the NMRA's store.

Pictures showing the gauge in the plastic cover.

This one shows it ready to use for checking clearances. Notice the tips at the bottom protrude past the plastic..

View attachment 42959

This shows it in the storage position. None of the tips at the bottom protrude past the plastic.

View attachment 42961

Hope this clears things up.

Burlington Bob, You are so lucky! Your plastic protector came in a beautiful Blue! Mine is a Lack-Luster and ugly tan color! How much extra did you have to pay for the Blue?

If you modeled in N scale, the , Normal scale, you too could have the much more desirable blue plastic addition to your gauge, which I might add, is much more compact and uses less valuable storage space on your work bench. :)

The cost? No extra charge for us Normal modelers! Just one of the perks of N scale!!!:):p:D:rolleyes:

Back