Nifty tutorial about bricks and stone

DaytonPiquaRR

Freelance
Well, I haven't posted in a while. Seems I have gotten side tracked (no pun intended).

I have to finish a dollhouse miniature for my daughters so the layout is on hold, but due to the dollhouse ladies over at the Greenleaf forums, someone pointed out this excellent tutorial on how to make realistic stone and bricks.

I am sure someone could adapt the process for some of our RR scales and get good results. The best part is it is awesomely cheap to do:

Clicky the Linky

They sure did. I am sure you could use a paper cutter to speed it up. I was thinking you could use this to make bridge abutments. Instead of buying a pre-made one or molding one, you could simply build the basic shape out of wood and then glue on the "stones". Then give it a color wash and then grout.

It would even be good for sidewalks and such. Bricks in HO and under would probably be too small to be practical to make this way though.

While that's amazingly good work and I'm sure really shows up nicely in large scale, I think it would not only be too hard in HO but there are already brick and stone pattersn you can download and print for free to do just what you suggest. Check out http://www.cgtextures.com/ for all the different types of textures available that are easily adapted to HO or N scale. See John and Steve's work in the UK using paper structure and retaining wall kits to see how well these come out also.

Primarily, this would be used if you do not want a flat printed surface, but a true 3 dimensional texture. I know it is easier to print something, but if you want to be more of a perfectionist this is a better way to do masonry if the scale is appropriate to show the detail. There is a definite difference between print and real surface texture.

There is a definite difference between print and real surface texture.

As there is a definite difference between time spent and the scenic value of the return. In HO, the methods shown would be a lot of work for the 1 foot rule. I'm not saying it wouldn't look good but I think the average viewer couldn't tell the difference from a foot away.

Back