Newby with a question about a mystery caboose

Freelancer

In the 70s, I spent countless hours with a diarama that ran along three walls of an enlosed one car garage. Now, not so much. I content myself spending time at the local rai station of a small town. They run a team locomotive and there are several restored passenger cars, one of which belonged to a Texas dignitary. With regular shrt excursions and lots of photo ops, it's a fun place to spend pretty weekends.

To show a bit of local pride, I want to nuild a scale version of a caboose to cover our mailbox. I built a generic cover that has lasted three years, but I want to actually model a caboose on display here. I can't find anything about this railcar. Anyone?

Attachments

• Caboose in Rusk 2.png
    Caboose in Rusk 2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • Caboose in Rusk 3.png
    Caboose in Rusk 3.png
    425.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Caboose in Rusk.png
    Caboose in Rusk.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
I have to admit, that is one unusual caboose, I'm thinking that perhaps the outer shell is some way of preserving the timber you can clearly see, but I'm probably way off base with that idea, I'm sure one of our Texas residents will be along shortly and may be able to give you more information.

It is a homebuilt caboose converted from an outside braced, single sheathed boxcar. It isn't unique only in that other railroads did conversions of boxcars to cabooses, and that whatever railroad built it may have done several conversions, but it probably is unique in that whatever railroad did that did it differently than other railroads did.

Here is a PRR equivalent built in 1943:
1700488943003.png

Other examples:
1700488827145.png

1700488912984.png

Back