Newbie, lookingto get back into the hobby

Hello,

Let me introduce myself to everyone. My name is Chad, i'm from Iowa. I'm looking to get back into the hobby that i never really understood when I was a kid. I have some questions about it and I'm going to need help along the way as I start from scratch. I hope you all will welcome me and help the best you all can.

First off what kind of track should I use to get started? I'm looking to build a modern layout.

Second question what is the radious of the curves that i should do to make the cars and loco's run smoothly?

Just a couple questions to get started. Looking forward to hearing from anyone willing to help.

Chad

Hi, Chad, and welcome aboard. The first thing you should do is read the beginner's guide at http://www.chipengelmann.com/trains/Beginner/BeginnersGuide01.html. It only takes five or ten minutes but gives you a lot to chew on.

In terms of track, what scale are you going to be working with? There's some track that's better in different scales. Curve radius is easy - as big as you have space for. :) I assume you know exactly how much space you have to work with, right? No? Me neither, when I first got started, just an idea I wanted build a layout. Read the beginner's guide, let us know what scale you plan to use, and how much space you have available. That will at least give us a start for some advice.

UP,

Thanks for that link. I'll check it out. Yeah I guess I should have mentioned that I'll be doing Ho scale. As for how much room I have to work with I have a entire basement to work with. I'm not going to over do it but I will be using at least Two rooms. Believe it or not this whole model railroad thing was my girlfirends Idea. She though it would be a great time to bond with us both working on it.:confused: Any who I'll get to reading that link. Thanks again UP!

Chad

Welcome to the MRF forum, Chad! I 'second' Jim's suggestion to read the Space Mouse Beginners Guide; I keep going back and re-reading it myself, simply because I find it highly entertaining.

Your GF sounds like a "keeper", you really got lucky in that department! ;)

train-locomotive.gif
WELCOME!

Yep, your GF sounds like a keeper!

I'd suggest, after reading Chip's beginner guide, that you throw a quick 4x8 together to hone your skills. It's quick, easy, and requires minimal bechwork construction. It get's you up and running quickly, and gives a chance to run equipment while you construct your empire.

Rotor

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, i've read the article and it makes sence to me. This layout will be like i said in present day. It will be a combo of the UP and IC&E. These are the two lines that run through town here so I am fimular with these lines. I have a couple good friends that work for the IC&E so they can help me out with fine details of that end of things. My layout will include a yard, small city and some industries.

Later on down the road ill even probably add some sort of body of water, either a creek or river runing through the city or the entire layout.

My next question is, is there anyone out there who makes custom decals for the units? I see there is only one DME Loco. is there more out there or will I have to make em?

Chad

... is there anyone out there who makes custom decals for the units? I see there is only one DME Loco. is there more out there or will I have to make em?

What color(s) are the locos? If they are a light color with dark lettering, you could print some yourself using a word processor. But dark with white or yellow lettering - that could be a problem since inkjets use transparent ink.

[LATER EDIT:] I just saw some online photos - blue body with a broad yellow stripe, and all the lettering is on the yellow - I think you're in luck (for printing your own)!:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Microscale makes a set for the Hood Deisels 87-820. The only loco that I have found is the Proto 2000 GP9 for the DME.

We have had a few DME covered hoppers but they are currently out of stock...

The UP stuff will be much easier to find!

Have fun with it!

Ryan

Thanks for the info UP. Yeah I looked around modeltrainstuff and found alot of stuff that I'll be ordering from those guys. Next question... Do I need to or should I lay my track down on roadbed or just put it down on the board?
Next my dad told me to use nickel plated track instead of copper, nickel conducts the current better. Any truth to this?

It will look better on roadbed.

It's not so much that nickel silver conducts better, because all things equal, brass is a little better. But both get oxidixed over time and the oxidized Ni-Ag will still conduct electicity while oxidized brass will not. Most tracks today are Ni-Ag. You'll have to buy brass used if at all.

WELCOME, CHAD!
You've gotten some good advice so far. My suggestion on your layout would be to not get too ambitious at first, but don't plan too little either. You can start with a 4x8 as was mentioned before, but you can also plan to expand and add to that 4x8 in the future.
You've found a great resource in this forum. These guys have been a big help to me.

Chad, your track will not only look better on a roadbed, the trains will run quieter. Without a roadbed material of some type, the trains transmit the mosie of the motor and wheels running on the track through the table and it can get really annoying.

Like Chip said, brass is actually a better conductor of electricity but it oxidizes faster so needs to be cleaned more often. So-called nickel-silver track conducts electricity almost as well but will not oxidize as quickly. It also look more like real track than brass. I don't know of any major track company that sells anything but nickel-silver track now.

UP,

Believe it or not this whole model railroad thing was my girlfirends Idea. She though it would be a great time to bond with us both working on it.:confused: Chad

i think i hear wedding bells:D

im relatively new too chad (about a year in). i used spacemouse's site when i was asking these questions. it is a great resource. enjoy your trains and post photos if you can. Im always interested in seeing peoples humble beginnings.

Welcome to the forum Chad,
You can already what a great bunch of guys are on here by the help your getting. Glad to have you aboard and nice meeting you!

Back