Newb first layout (in a long time) - need input.

jeffros

I need some input on a layout (HO scale) ive been designing for a few weeks.
Here is what I know so far -
Atlas code 83 track, 22" radius turns minimum. late 40's early 50's era. DCC, prab 3 trains (steam and diesel).

(each square = 1ft)

Need some expert opinions...
Thanks
Jeff

I need some input on a layout (HO scale) ive been designing for a few weeks.
Here is what I know so far -
Atlas code 83 track, 22" radius turns minimum. late 40's early 50's era. DCC, prab 3 trains (steam and diesel).

(each square = 1ft)

Need some expert opinions...
Thanks
Jeff

How long is your reach? Your plan is nice if you have full access to all sides of it or do you plan for pop up hatches? The Yard and as many switchs should be no further back than 36" for easy Maint! Over all good plan:)

Very good start. Your yard could be designed to hold more cars if you used a compound ladder trackage set up. Search on compound ladder here for examples. In addition to the reach question posed by Chris, I'm wondering if you've calculated the grade you need to get one line over the other. Assuming the switch at the train station is "sea level", you've got to get up at least 4" to cross the other line in what appears to be about 4 feet. Using the standard forumula of Gradient(%) = Rise / Run, 4"/48" = 8.3%, which is an impossible grade. You should try to limit grades on the mainline to a maximum of 2% and that doesn't look possible in the space you have. You may want to rethink the idea of crossing the other line at grade instead of with a bridge.

I would also take out the other bridge. I would also add a few more turnouts to put some more industries on. How are you planning on uncoupling and changing switches? If you are using ground throws and manual uncoupling then I would move the yard a few feet to the left. If you are using blue points or tortises and magnets to uncouple then ur fine or if can walk around that side of the layout. Overall I like the plan but I may be a little biased. (mine is very similar, see below)
layoutnew4-1.jpg

Well I took everyones advice (thanks again) and redesigned another layout (rev 11). Here it is and again let me have it, tell me the good, bad and the ugly.

Back