New to N gauge

Zavier12

Hi there,
I live in Sydney NSW Australia and have a burning ambition to construct an N gauge model rail system at around 8 foot by 2.5 feet.
Where do I start?
I have a few books in regard to track plans, benchwork etc but not too sure what to do next but I do know I want to have more than one level
with some tunnels, stations etc.
Any advice and/or guidance would be most appreciated. ? Books to buy ? Start with a boxed set?
Regards
John

Welcome to the group John! Lots of useful information on here. Don’t be afraid to ask questions if you have them. There are many decades of experience on here. So get started, and post up what you are working on, or thinking of doing.

I .. have a burning ambition to construct an N gauge model rail system at around 8 foot by 2.5 feet.
Where do I start?
My first question would be what is driving this ambition. Is it in response to another model railroad you have seen somewhere? Perhaps something in the real world that makes you desire to re-create it in miniature? Or is this something that you have been thinking about since childhood, and now have the opportunity to make that "dream" come true?

There are many many aspects of model railroading, figuring out which one is calling to you can help dictate track plans and scenery decisions that will make the whole experience more fun more full filling. That could also help direct one toward books that might be helpful.

Ok now that I am going I can't stop...
1. Are you wanting to model Australian Railroads? Current day or something in the past?
2. A starter set can be a good way to start, but usually as one progresses some of the set "parts" become irrelevant an end up having been a waste of money. There are no pre-boxed sets that are going to fill a 8'x2.5' space.
3. Have you already seen a boxed set that has captured your imagination?

Last edited:
My first question would be what is driving this ambition. Is it in response to another model railroad you have seen somewhere? Perhaps something in the real world that makes you desire to re-create it in miniature? Or is this something that you have been thinking about since childhood, and now have the opportunity to make that "dream" come true?

There are many many aspects of model railroading, figuring out which one is calling to you can help dictate track plans and scenery decisions that will make the whole experience more fun more full filling. That could also help direct one toward books that might be helpful.

1. Are you wanting to model Australian Railroads? Current day or something in the past?
2. A starter set can be a good way to start, but usually as one progresses some of the set "parts" become irrelevant an end up having been a waste of money. There are no pre-boxed sets that are going to fill a 8'x2.5' space.

Iron Horseman,
Many thanks for your comments in response to my posting.
I went to a Model Railway display which had dozens of layouts many of which were HO gauge so I started buying a few boxed sets and set-up a 4 X 4 table type layout using the tracks provided. I then discovered our National Model Railway association which has a clubhouse not far from my home. They have permanent HO, N and G gauge model railways all of which are controlled by DCC and the whole thing is amazing. Members can visit most days and I was impressed by the N gauge given the relatively small area I have to work with. I have decided to sell my HO trains and tracks then purchase an N gauge system. It appears I will be on a big learning binge to understand wiring, DCC, turnouts and much much more. The Peco Starter Track Set may well be a good place to start and I think I will construct my basic bench along a wall using wooden brackets etc. Not all all sure of the style I will adopt/develop.
Kind Regards
Zavier

If you are interested in Australian models, a quick Google reveals this supplier http://www.aust-n-rail.com.au/

Remember, there is N scale flextrack available via Peco, which will make the design of your layout's trackwork more, umm, flexible. A starter set can be very confining, and as I.H. has said, often pieces become disused as you improve your understanding and planning. The AMRA NSW club would be a great place to get guidance and help from, along with being able to see, in a physical environment, what is possible.

It appears I will be on a big learning binge to understand wiring, DCC, turnouts and much much more. The Peco Starter Track Set may well be a good place to start and I think I will construct my basic bench along a wall using wooden brackets etc. Not all all sure of the style I will adopt/develop.
Ok. Yes there are many things to learn, but my first comment there would be don't let things seem harder or make them harder than they really are. For example, all the stuff is out there concerning wiring for DCC is solving problems you probably won't have. DCC wiring can be as simple as two wires to the track - done. You can worry about all that other stuff when and if there are problems.

Peco track is wonderful. The only wiring thing you need to "learn" about those turnouts is if you are using the electro-frog type (vs the insulfrog type).

Back