New superfast 3D printing technology.

Steve S

A company called Carbon3D has come up with a new 3D printing technology that they call Continuous Liquid Interface Production (CLIP.) They claim it's 25 to 100 times faster than traditional techniques. It looks similar to SLA printing but it doesn't create things layer by layer so the finish should be a lot better. Go to the link below and scroll down to the b&w photo of the Eiffel Tower. Pretty impressive.

Let's hope this makes it to places like Shapeways and other sites in the near future, and doesn't cost $500 per body shell.

http://3dprint.com/51566/carbon3d-clip-3d-printing/

Steve S

I was thinking about this type of modeling last night. Someday any model can be made and painted/lettered on a 'printer' hooked to a tablet or PC. I always try to build models that will last maybe 50-years in the construction choices I make. But it won't matter if you can just print a new one. You won't even need tools to maintain them - just toss it away. Just like driverless cars will take the fun out of driving a good car someday. Ugh!

Looks like it would be more susceptible to ambient contamination, ie; dust.

That hasn't been a problem with the SLA method, and this is very similar to SLA. They can always enclose the machine in a plexi box and filter the air.

Steve S

From what I've gathered from the article, and after visiting the web site, I can only think of this as still in the prototype stage. There was no discussion as to size of the part that could be made, no model#, nor any prices. If they are in the prototype phase, I wouldn't look for this to be on the market for a year or more.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the machine was in the $5K-10K range.

Here's a 10-minute Ted Talk by one of the coinventers. He describes how this new process is different than SLA. He also prints an object on stage in less time than it talks him to give his talk. And he mentions he thinks they can increase the speed to 1000X faster than other means.
https://www.ted.com/talks/joe_desimone_what_if_3d_printing_was_25x_faster

From what I've gathered from the article, and after visiting the web site, I can only think of this as still in the prototype stage. There was no discussion as to size of the part that could be made, no model#, nor any prices. If they are in the prototype phase, I wouldn't look for this to be on the market for a year or more.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the machine was in the $5K-10K range.

Yes, it's not in production yet. As for size, the link in my OP shows the sole of a shoe that appears to be full size. And the price is probably a lot higher than $10,000, but I don't care about that as long as companies like Shapeways can afford them and I can send out to have a model made.

Steve S

Back