NEW Rolling Stock: Kit, Kit Bash; or, Scratch Build Contest!

An addition to the Rules. To help promote participation, previous winners are excluded from winning consecutive contests. This means that CSX_Road_Slug can not win this current contest.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been 9 days since this contest was started. At nine days in the old contest we had 8 entries, to date we only have 3 for this one in the same amount of time. Possibly at the end of this contest, the entries will flood in (hopefully)! Not complaining, just hopeful!

Deadline for judges to volunteer is November 30th, after which time, I will be the sole judge.

As far as being a sponsor for these building contests, it is not my intention of doing this forever. The prizes I have purchased, to give away for the contest have been inexpensive purchases off of Ebay and cost $15.00 plus shipping and $13.50 plus shipping. Both where "Buy It Now" sales at Ebay. I wanted them to be good prizes for people who like to build models, so I stuck with Red Caboose models. It does not have to be Red Caboose, it can be any of the more highly detailed kits that have been available in the past; or, even Tichy Train Group kits which also build into wonderful models. Possibly you already have a kit; or, two, you would be willing to give away and you are interested in sponsoring a contest. At the end of this contest on December 31st, 2017, I will step down as the sponsor thereby allowing someone else to take over. Ianacole has expressed and interest in sponsoring a contest and if so would be the next to do so. If you have an interest, please contact me via a PM. Thanks!

As of this morning, I have only three entries in this contest. However, I did mention that if we do not get many entries, I would use entries from the first contest as participants (Unless specifically asked not to do this by the owner of the entry. By the way, as per my statement of the rules in the first contest, the sponsor and any judges can enter this contest, also. I would really like to see more entries!

Entries in this latest contest are pretty lack luster! To date I count only three new entries. I had hoped for better participation.

Another change in the rules, as of 12/10/2017, I am changing the rules to eliminate the previous contest's entrants Despite the changes posted in post in #25, this will be a new contest, only using participants who have entered this contest, which started on November 2nd, 2017. Still, as of this morning, this contest only has three entrants: GPWrangler's L&N Transfer caboose and a Wood Chip car and tank car by Montanan! This does not mean that entries from the first contest can not be entered in this contest. It only means that if you want to enter models presented in the first contest, they must be re-entered in this contest.

Mark,

This probably doesn't count as it isn't a kit or anything. Trying my hand at a 100% scratch built Ore Car:

AHQgPpP.jpg

Obviously in it's very very early stages so you can disregard it in terms of the contest.

Tony, Your on the right track! The car really should be finished to be entered into the contest. Thanks!! Other than myself, you are the first person to post in this thread since November 23rd!

I won't be sponsoring these contest anymore, after the 1st of the year. If someone else would like to sponsor a contest, that is up to them. Personally, the lack of interest in this contest gives me doubt about continuing. Maybe the stipulation that the entry be a kit, kit bash; or, scratch build to be entered is to limiting, what with everyone being far to busy in their personal lives to have time to build railroad cars anymore!

I won't be sponsoring these contest anymore, after the 1st of the year. If someone else would like to sponsor a contest, that is up to them. Personally, the lack of interest in this contest gives me doubt about continuing. Maybe the stipulation that the entry be a kit, kit bash; or, scratch build to be entered is to limiting, what with everyone being far to busy in their personal lives to have time to build railroad cars anymore!

I think that it may be the time of year. A lot of folks are too busy with holiday stuff to devote much time to modeling. I don't participate because I already have more than enough freight cars (~800) and I won't open another kit until I finish the last staging yard. 85% of my fleet is kits so I am with you on that.

Willie

Willie, I never said that entries must have been recently built; or, built specifically for the contest. The only requirement is that they be Kit built, Kit bashed; or, scratch built, no Ready to Run stuff! Entries in the contest are extremely slow to be entered. We need entries!! No matter when I have started these contests, it appears it is always at a bad time. So, what else is new?

Narrow Gauge (On3) water car. Sort of a scratch built and bashed piece of rolling stock. The base is scratch built - the silver tank is from a Lionel tank car, and the trucks are commercial.
Still need to add brake wheel, chains,water hoses, buckets, and such to complete the details.

ng water car1 (Large).JPG

ng water car2 (Large).JPG

ng water car3 (Large).JPG

Wow, finally a third entry to the contest and it only took 1 month and 9 days to get this entry! Nice car Sherrel!

So, we are getting down to the wire! Ten days left, to get your entries in!

Well, this contest has finally been put out of it's misery! Why there weren't more entries is a good question. Maybe I'm the last guy on the planet that likes to build rolling stock from kits, I do not know? At any rate, I will decide the winner of this contest on my own. Here is a list of the entries: GPwrangler's L&N Transfer Caboose, Montanan's T&M Wood Chip Car and Sirfoldalot's Narrow Gauge Tank Car.

Back