New patch method created

NYC_George

So as I said yesterday I wanted to develop a new and easier method to create custom rail car patches. I think I found a way to do this without much effort.
Printing them on Testors white decal paper would be the easiest method. I say white because you eliminate the see through problem. The other problem was to make sure the lettering would be crisp and defined. I used my graphic program to set the page pixel resolution to 300 and the lettering resolution 700. This seems to work then scale everything down to the HO scale size. You could make the patch background and lettering any size or color to fit your need. I printed some out on normal printing paper to see how they looked. I think this will work. Let me know if you need a few patches. I'll try to make what you need and send them digitally if I have the time. Once I find real quick way to do this is should be a snap.
George

mrf_patches_post_1.JPG

Last edited:
George, looks good. Just one thing, is it possible to use a smaller font? They look a bit large in MHO.

Any font size you want to use Jerome. I was just wondering about the clarity of the small font lettering. I guess I could turn up the resolution another notch? What are you looking for, half that size? Once I figure this all out, the right font size etc it will be real fast to create these patches.
George

George, about the same size as the Penn Central above it?? Not sure how small you can go. I'm watching your progress so I can duplicate it. ;)

George, about the same size as the Penn Central above it?? Not sure how small you can go. I'm watching your progress so I can duplicate it

Ok Jerome I got to the font size down to the Penn Central lettering. I'm using Jessica Paint a program I bought 20 years ago so it's at it's limit. I set the text resolution to it's max 1,600 and the page to 900. I just have to wait for the white decal paper I ordered to get here and I'll test it out.
George

Just going by the prototypical ones. The patch is usually just a bit bigger than the original reporting marks and numbers.

I just realized something. I use a graphic's program for most everything but the simple Wordpad program that comes with windows will do. It has the ability to put any size colored text on any color background and that's all you need. Just print up lots of RR letters & ID numbers on white decal paper and you have your patches all ready to go. Very simple thing to get done. My white decal paper will be here Thursday and I'll see how it all works out.

George

My white decal paper order arrived yesterday so I wanted to start on my new method using Wordpad that comes with Windows and not a graphic program. The letters and numbers are clear right down to a 8 pt font. I used 12 pts for this grain car project because it matches the size of the letters I'm replacing on the car. This is only a test for now I want to see how it will look before making the actual patch decals. I choose white letters on a black background but you can close any color combination from the Wordpad menu. I know the second below photo looks odd but I did it in a way I had clear cut guide lines for cutting the letters out.

George

patch_test_photo_04_04_20_01_44_pm.jpg
wordpad_patch_CR_57_10_36_Done.jpg

So the first patch decals created with Window's Wordpad are finished. I'm very pleased with the results. Wordpad comes with Window's so you don't have to buy anything. The white decal paper was $11.00 for 10 sheets. You can combine any color text with any color background with the 15 colors Wordpad offers. I decide to use a grey background. I think it fits with the car being grey.

George

wordpad_patches_09_23_20_09_27_pm.jpg

Back