New on here. Starting my first layout

If you're thinking the power plant only gets a few cars a week, your scheme would be OK. But most power plants get 2-3 whole coal trains of coal per week. Yet you have more tracks for the plant than the mine. Also there would be more need for a coal fired power plant near a city than off a branchline. Of course you could run big transmission lines from the plant to the city.
Given the types of modern era industries on your layout, you'll be running diesels to power your trains. So you don't need a turntable or roundhouse as were used for steam engines. Use that space to expand your your yard size.
Took a look at you layout dimensions & it looks like you'll have some long reaches to get to some of the industries. Most of us can only reach about 24-28" easily AND w/o knocking things over in the process. If your layout can be all walk around you'll be OK.
Have SCARM, Anyrail & CADRAIL but haven't learned to use any of them yet. Still stuck in my old draftsman days from 45 years ago!

Last edited by a moderator:
The coal power plant back home north of Terre Haute was about ten miles outside of town off a branch line I believe. I understand what you are saying though. I did move the lead so it was coming off of the main line as you suggested. But it didn't look to be as much fun just moving the cars from the yard to the plant. I am not doubting you are correct in thinking the way you are. And maybe the way I ran the track wasn't what you are trying to suggest. Do you have SCARM? If so, would be willing to take a look at this for me and make your suggested changes? As for the mine maybe I can ramp up production by making that a larger mining company similar to the New River Mining Co from Wlathers.

As for the roundhouse and turntable, to be honest, I only added the them because they are a really cool feature the kids (and I) will love. Our house is the neighborhood hangout for kids of all ages because we have kids from 2 years through 13. All their friends come here to play. So I am trying to make this something everyone will enjoy by either watching the trains run, or by moving freight around. And I really think a turntable could be a cool leftover item still there used to turn the local Steam Engine attraction around and store it for the winter. We do still have a couple steam engines that frequent the area taking the kids for rides. Maybe my roundhouse is where they store them. I was never really concerned with there being steam and diesels on the same layout and that not being period correct or anything. I love all trains. So it would be really hard for me to only use one or the other.

Does that make sense?

Oh, and the layout will be in a corner on the right side. I will be able to reach all but some of the areas near the very back on the right side. I have a fairly long reach and a stool if needed. Plus the whole thing should be light enough to be moved if needed. If it becomes a problem it can easily slide a couple feet to the left and have access on three sides. Which is where it may end up anyway. I have an old gas pump that sits in that corner. And it may stay there.

Looks like you have a switch on the mainline in a tunnel near the coal mine. Switches in tunnels can be troublesome.

I'd also consider shortening the lead into the scrap yard, and move the adjacent cutoff track back further, which could give you more space for longer yard tracks. I'd also consider moving the lead for the roundhouse, to a different track, and moving it closer to the 'front' of the layout, which may also allow you longer yard tracks.

Working w/ Santa Fe's civil engineers on the Star Lake RR project taught me that any lines on paper are just wet noodles. They can be moved anywhere you want. In the case of us model RRers just don't "cast in concrete" the tracks w/ glue & ballast. Run your trains on track
that are just temporarily nailed down to see how your MR plan meets your operational needs. If you see something that's not right it's a whole lot easier to change it w/o getting out the jackhammer out. :)
It's OK to keep the turntable & roundhouse if you want it for a historical perspective for the kids (& you of course!). In fact while there's not many left today if you have some steam then you do need a place to keep store & "maintain" them. Also you could have early, middle & late steamers. And nothing says your MR can't have it's own Steam program like the UP. Also your can always run different eras at different Ops sessions. Show & teach the kids about all the changes thru time on the RRs & this country. And you can do the same w/ diesels - from very early to very late. Of course this assumes you have the money to buy all this equipment. Maybe you could get involved w/ a round robin Ops group & they can bring their equipment.
If you can put the layout on wheels, it would make it very easy to move when needed.
And we're on page 3 now!

Yes I see this thread is getting some good responses. Thank you guys for all the input. I think I have it close enough I can start building the benchwork now that Christmas is over and my wife's not dragging me out shopping every day :rolleyes: So this weekend I have made plans to start cutting the lumber. The only change I think to the benchwork will be a lower area where the river is. Which I will just rip the lumber to get a 2" drop.

Let the chaos begin! I finally got a good start on all the benchwork.
20131228_142111_zpsce94f12a.jpg

L-Girders first since they are the hardest.
20131228_151027_zpsb2820e04.jpg

20131228_151035_zpsb9ad78b0.jpg

20131228_185856_zpse5cd537d.jpg

20131228_193225_zps01b834d0.jpg

Seeing it all in person it is a lot bigger than I had pictured when I was measuring the area. My wife is going to kill me. But this layout is using up space the old pool table took up so I think this is a fair trade-off ;)

P.S. In case anyone is wondering - The Milwaukee 1/4" Screwdriver in that last pic is way cool!

Let the chaos begin!
Kevin, For some reason I cannot send a private message with an image so I thought I would add this onto your thread here.

Here is a picture of where I've been heading. I actually had this drawn up and for some reason the software decided to eat it, so I am having to start over again. I hate "CAD-like" software. Obviously the perspective is wrong, but after many sketches this is the first one that sort of captured my vision of what we talked about. Let me know if it seems like what you also had in mind. Just staring at it the last couple days I got an idea how to solve one of the logistical problems I've been having. By the way, this is into the minimum 13" radius range. Going up to 15" really limits the possibilities for interlacing the tracks through tunnels.

N-ScalerLayout.jpg

Hey Kevin,
Layout looks awesome and you are moving forward. Did you you ever find your N scale stuff? I know you couldn't find it for a while. Keep up the great work and keep the pics coming.

Scott

Well, this is embarassing. I forgot to come and update this thread. My layout area got confiscated by my wife's daycare. I actually gained control of a much larger room though so it worked out for the better. But yes IH, you pretty much nailed what I have in mind. I am leaning more toward a prototype though now (which may be of some help?). I have spent the past couple weeks talking with a couple guys who convinced me, if I want to run the Big Boy I really should model the appropriate railroad. Which is the Wyoming Division of the Union Pacific Railway. So I am researching that line.

How did you get your wife to move you into a bigger room? Any tips on that would be great :) Doing bench work is a little chaotic huh, BUT it is the first step to the "rest of your life" :)

I have spent the past couple weeks talking with a couple guys who convinced me, if I want to run the Big Boy I really should model the appropriate railroad. Which is the Wyoming Division of the Union Pacific Railway.
That is good advise and greatly narrows the scope for both the track plan and for future rolling stock purchases. So now that turntable will be the "anchor" city. I think there is a similar model of the Cheyenne coal tower in N-scale. I think it is a must to go with the turntable.
CheyenneLocos.jpg

Back