New Member From Northern NY

Marlin338MX

New to the forum, and new to "modern" model railroading. I had various model train sets as a kid, in HO and N scales, but the last time I had a working model train set was around 1977. I still have that HO Athearn passenger trains, but somewhere over the years, the oval track and power pack came up missing.

I inherited a bunch of my dad's model train stuff about 21 years ago, but I finally opened all those boxes just 2 months ago. I've built a model train table using 2 and a 1/4 sheets of plywood and used the Atlas software to design a railroad for it.

I'll have plenty of questions as I build my model railroad, but I'm looking forward to the journey.

Thank you for the welcomes. I'm using the DC locomotives that my dad bought 25+ years ago, as well as the plastic buildings, brass track, etc. He had more than 200 feet of track, most of which never got used. He had 13 Atlas remote snap switches that were still new in the packages. Most of his 22 locomotives and 80+ railcars are still new in their boxes.

Here's the layout that I settled on
PXL_20231109_125006616.jpg

Thank you for the welcomes. I'm using the DC locomotives that my dad bought 25+ years ago, as well as the plastic buildings, brass track, etc. He had more than 200 feet of track, most of which never got used. He had 13 Atlas remote snap switches that were still new in the packages. Most of his 22 locomotives and 80+ railcars are still new in their boxes.

Here's the layout that I settled on
View attachment 176573
So how much space do you have for this layout ?

So how much space do you have for this layout ?

I used 2 and 1/4 sheets of 15/32's plywood, sanded on one side. It's 14' long, with a 4' wide x 6' long section on one end, and 6' wide by 8' long section on the other end. It's in my semi-finished attic, so it's a permanent layout. I put this track down last night, and waiting for 8 more turnouts to arrive by mail so I can finish laying track to make sure everything goes together properly.

PXL_20231109_012201641.jpg

PXL_20231109_123013288.jpg

Back